No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Islington Paperweight  (Read 3945 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Islington Paperweight
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:48:45 AM »

No doubt many will have seen this Islington paperweight for sale. It will be interesting to see how much it makes.

But to the point:  I am in the process of researching Islington weights for an article, and would be grateful of images if any GMB members has one!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cfosterk

• Members
Re: Islington Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
Will this weight set a new price record for Islington?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
  • nicholaschwartz@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:10 AM »
As I'm certain many others will have noticed, this particular weight was Lot No.353 in Bonham's sale on 3rd June 2009, when it sold for 7,200 GBP including commission.

The purchaser must either have bought it to make a profit or has fallen out of love with it pretty quickly.

Nicholas
Nicholas

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »

I do know of a rather plain 'unidentified' Islington in a museum collection. Does anyone else know of lurking 'definites' or 'possibles'?

Alan

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
I know of a weight that has canes which match to a weight that is attrubuted to Islington.

It's in (or was in) a collection in the middle of nowhere in the south of England and was thought to be antique French. I was intending to return for a visit to see if it is still there, but I have not got around to it. It was many years ago when I saw it - and I had no camera with me at the time.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 09:21:40 AM »

Well, it made a good price - but no obvious profit there for the seller.

Alan

Offline Nicholas.

• Members
  • nicholaschwartz@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 01:46:44 AM »
I apologise for this being something of a diatribe but I find the subject both interesting and of significance. Nicholas

I feel that it is vital that all doubts be eliminated as to the nature of the hallmarks on the silver mount to this Islington paperweight. Future researchers may consider using these marks to help in the dating of the paperweights from this firm and there is the risk that incorrect information might lead researchers on a wild goose chase and thus obstruct the establishing of a more accurate chronology of this firms production of paperweights.

With this in mind I have been researching the marks stamped on this mount but I decided not to post my findings until the bidding on this weight had closed, this so as not to affect the outcome of the sale.

I thought it noteworthy that Bonham’s made no mention of this mount bearing an 1851-52 hallmark in their auction catalogue entry for this weight, Lot 353 in their sale on 3rdJune 2009, the mount was merely mentioned in passing as “later mounted on the base with a silver foot”. If this mount had provided a link to a date in the mid-nineteenth century then it seemed inconceivable that Bonham’s would not have referred to this.

The recent entry on Ebay was not so circumspect and even suggested that this weight may have been exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851. If one assumed that this hallmark were that for 1851-52, then it would have had to have been a late exhibit, as the exhibition only ran from 1st May until 15th October 1851 and the upper-case with serif “C” was only initiated on 19th May 1851, St Dunstan’s Day, the customary day for changing the date letter in hallmarks until the 1973 Hallmarking Act was applied in 1975.

I pondered on the lack of the presence of a duty (queen's head) mark amongst these hallmarks. However as this mark was not obligatory on objects of minimal weight, such as lightweight mounts, I dismissed this concern.

However I could find no silversmith of Birmingham, or other UK city, listed as using “C S” in the mid-nineteenth century, within a crescent or not, on the website referred to on this Ebay entry (admittedly still adding to its list of makers), or in Jackson’s Silver & Gold Marks (the standard reference work on UK silver marks).

In addition, the “c” date-letter on this mount appeared to be a lower-case, sans serif “c” not the upper-case, with serif “C” of 1851-52, although within an escutcheon similar to that used for the hallmarks of 1851-52. Also the form of the anchor, struck for Birmingham, looked rather different from the mid-nineteenth century variety. All very confusing.

The presence of a “925” sterling mark amongst these marks was also disturbing, this does occur with British hallmarks on both exported and imported silver but generally that of a much later date; on occasions at the very end of the nineteenth century but more usually during the twentieth and twenty-first centuries. I felt that it would have been well-nigh impossible to add this mark at a later date, as it is placed between the “maker’s” mark and the mark for the city of Birmingham.

In short by process of elimination I came to the conclusion that this mark was not one that generally appeared in reference works on antiques because it was the new-style Birmingham hallmark for 2002. Was I correct?

I emailed both Goldsmiths Hall and the Birmingham Assay Office and, with their permission, I quote from their replies.

“I think you are absolutely correct in thinking this mark is of 2002.” Ms. Lyn Mills; Secretary to the Deputy Warden at Goldsmith’s Hall, London.

“In order to be absolutely certain of our identification of this hallmark, I and several of my colleagues have looked at the image that you kindly attached of the hallmark on the mount.  I can confirm that the hallmark indicates sterling silver, assayed and marked at Birmingham in 2002. The sponsor's mark is that of Crescent Silver.” Dr. Sally Baggott; Curator at the Birmingham Assay Office.

Why this mount was affixed to a mid-nineteenth century paperweight one can only imagine.

Nicholas

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 03:14:18 AM »
Excellent work, Nicholas.
KevinH

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »

Agreed - excellent, helpful research.

It is not unknown for Old English items to have been repaired using silver fittings: I have seen a couple of Walsh Walsh bottles that have had broken necks repaired that way, and I have a Richardson bottle base that has been given a hinged silver cap that makes it look like a pear. This particular weight used to belong to Bob Hall, who lived not far from Birmingham.  Maybe he had an original or earlier damaged base replaced with this silver one, by Crescent Silver of Birmingham?

Alan

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 02:50:39 PM »
Hi Nicholas,

This is fascinating.

I do not know enough about British assay marks and the assay process, but I have a question that you may be able to answer. As I am sure you know, a number of items are assayed every year to prove that they are indeed made of silver (but therefore not necessarily made in the year of assay). Otherwise auction houses for one simply enter 'white metal' in the description. This cannot be our case as I suspect there would not be any maker's mark. What happens however, if an unmarked item is repaired (for instance, as happens commonly, the silver has been thined by too much polishing and needs 'replenishing') and then sent to the assay office by the silversmith. Would the item carry a full set of hallmarks then (i.e. including the makers' mark)?  

Sophie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand