No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano Snails Galore!  (Read 2508 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Murano Snails Galore!
« on: March 30, 2010, 02:10:05 AM »
Two favorites from my Murano bestiary collection.  The larger one is a ringer for Archimede Seguso, alabastro and alexandrite (?).  The shell looks like black but is actually a very dark shade of purple.  It is VERY heavy and large as these critters go.  The smaller one is by an unknown maker.  It bears that frustrating light blue and gold rooster sticker that baffles everyone.  Maybe this little snail will shed some light as to which maker(s) used that sticker.
Charles.

Offline horochar

• Members
Re: Murano Snails Galore!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 02:11:19 AM »
Two more views.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 03:29:49 AM »
The big snail looks like a Salviati design. Salviati did these in different colors. Is it about 6" long and 4" tall?
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:00:59 AM »
I just googled Salviati snail and found a few on the web. They are made in different sizes, too. The largest one I found was a bit shy of 8". I wouldn't want to find one of those Godzilla snails on my plants!
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 12:38:51 PM »
Yes Anita, he's the 8 inch monster size.  Keeps the cat off the piano.

Offline melhivyleague

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
Hopefully this posts correctly. It's my very first post here... I have recently become obsessed with Murano glass, and while I'm previously snubbed my nose at the silly little figurines, I have become even MORE obsessed with the Salviati giant snails! Can anyone help me? I just recently had the biggest disappointment of my ebay bidding life. In the last 30 seconds of an auction that I was winning, someone came and swiped my snail out from under me for 26 cents! Ahhhh! The utter frustration!  :cry: Anyway, I have been on a mad search to find one of these huge snails, but to little avail. This is the closest I've come -- finding pictures (which will have to suffice for the time being). I don't suppose anyone knows where to direct me or would be interested in selling one from their collection? Thank you very much for your help, Melanie

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 12:44:46 AM »
I paid $400 for mine.  26 cents sounds like a bargain.  :thup:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 12:56:08 AM »
Was it the cobalt snail?

Salviati snails come up on eBay. I saw two of different designs that came off just recently. Winning one for $5 is kind of embarrassing. The going price is $400 for the big ones in the stores. You will probably get another chance to win one on eBay soon. If you bid higher you can probably win one.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline melhivyleague

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 04:43:24 PM »
The shell was a dark teal and it faded into light teal in the neck area. Very pretty! Actually, in my frantic search I have since come across a clear glass snail with flame orange interior which I think is my absolute favorite. I also found a neon greenish one which is pretty cool too. Maybe it's okay that I lost my snail for $5.26. I guess I'll just have to be patient and keep my eyes open... I'm encouraged to hear that at least I didn't miss my once in a life time opportunity to own a giant snail (for less than $400). Whew!

Mod: Pic removed under GMB copyright guidelines.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
This looks like the picture of the snail from a Ruby Lane store. Is the picture used with permission? It is a great, bold snail.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand