No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Seguso Vetri d'Arte Scavo Vase 70's...  (Read 3147 times)

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Seguso Vetri d'Arte Scavo Vase 70's...
« on: March 30, 2010, 09:03:42 AM »
Huge 70's Seguso Vetri d'Arte Scavo Vase. Stands 44cm high about 20cm in dia at its widest. Has the clear plastic Seguso Vetri d'Arte label. Probably about 6kg in weight. Strangely has a hole in the bottom which I am still unsure what the purpose is for! Hopefully this wasn't intended to put a plant in for water drainage! LOL. Added here for reference.

Offline tam bam

• Members
Re: Seguso Vetri d'Arte Scavo Vase 70's...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 01:50:43 PM »
Hi Pain,

I see you have very nice scavo vase there.  I really like it.  I used to work in a custom lamp shop and I bet you that someone ,whether Seguso or someone else, I do not know, had plans to make this piece into a lamp.  You can still do this with ease if you still wish.  Do you know someone with knowledge of this in your hometown?  The hard work and frightening work  is already complete(drilling the glass for the wiring, which is the hole in the bottom of your vase).  Now you just need the lamp parts and voila' you have a lamp.  

tam bam

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 06:39:01 AM »
Unfortunately I don't tam bam. Also, the base is flat so I would assume some more drilling would be needed so the cords would come out the side? otherwise it would not stand up properly.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 04:43:49 PM »
Unfortunately I don't tam bam. Also, the base is flat so I would assume some more drilling would be needed so the cords would come out the side? otherwise it would not stand up properly.

Or the lamp is fixed to a base using the lamp parts. The cord can exit from the base.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 08:03:46 PM »
Anita is exactly on cue.  She has built lamps and knows too.  Sorry I omitted that out.  It has been awhile since I worked in the lamp shop but that is exactly what your vase was intended for.  Your vase would need no more drilling it is already completed in the glass part, which is the nerve racking part.  If you wish to do this yourself there are also books out there that teach you how to build your own lamps.  This is how the person I worked for started his own business and is very successful to this day at making his own custom lamps.  He just picked up a book and started making his own lamps.  All from just a book.

tam bam

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 10:37:18 PM »
Ah many thanks. It would certainly be a huge lamp. I will look into it this and do some reading and check up on some lamp makers. This will be one of the last pieces I pack up and will need a dedicated box to itself. I also have another piece that I think was intended for a lamp but has not drilling in it, but have seen another piece exactly the same that is a lamp. I think I will leave this one as a vase as the thought of something going wrong when the drilling is occurring scares me.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 11:12:25 PM »
Hi Kane - I have done a fair amount of this without a book (Tam Bam what is it called?) and there are several traps for young players. The hardest bit is ensuring the fitting at the top ends up attached tightly and upright. I think I have a system now but doing it on my first one meant I had to undo all the work and start again.

The threads that the lamps use is a special brass thread and you need one of these taps and dies as you cant buy the threaded parts in Australia. Then the hard bit of tapping it and keeping it upright.

I was too scared to give this to someone I did not know, as out my way 'near enough is good enough' seems to be plot.

If you can get someone to do it for you I think that might be the best solution or use it as a display vase.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 11:15:09 PM »
BTW great buy looks like a D&A item?

Don't let my previous post put you off this will be a magnificent lamp.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 01:59:47 AM »
The glass is scavo, so would give a wonderful effect if the bulb was mounted inside. White or clear scavo is often used for lamps because it makes light diffuse and pleasant. The top can be left open to vent the heat. The base can be very low -- maybe just a metal ring with a cut-out for the cord to exit. The only trick would be to have the inside bulb mount the right height to give the nicest effect and to keep the hot bulb away from the glass if using an incandescent bulb.

This would only work if the glass is transparent enough to let the light shine through -- easily tested with a flashlight.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 02:04:57 AM »
Great Idea Anita it would look great. :hiclp:
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand