No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted Art Deco vase with Gymnastic Figure - help wanted with ID please!  (Read 749 times)

Offline kerry

• Members
Hello, hope someone can help me out with this one - its quite a nice vase, but I have no idea if its just a cheap mass produced piece or a piece of quality glass, thanks, Kerry.

Its approx 15 inches tall and 10 inches at the widest part.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kerry

• Members
Frosted Art Deco vase with Gymnastic Figure - help wanted with ID please!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »
Hi, I tried to Edit my previous post as I have found a little more info to describe the vase better, but for some reason I couldn't.  I was hoping someone could help me with the maker of this vase, and tell me how to tell
"cheap" frosted glass from good quality, thanks, Kerry.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
You can edit a thread for a short time after you have posted it (maybe an hour), otherwise you can add more info or ask other questions etc. by REPLYing to the post (look for the reply tab, right hand side).

Judging quality? Comes with experience I guess. Handle as much as you can and read everything you can get your hands on.

John

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
A big clue is the way it's finished - and to judge that it helps to have a picture of the base.

To me, there doesn't seem to be a lot of detail in the figure, and so I'd guess it's more 1980s deco revival than 1930s true deco. But that may be wrong.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
I would guess it to be a later piece as Cathy suggested. The figure on the piece is a reproduction of a sculpture by Max LeVerrier called Lueur. The figure was also made as a lamp and is called Clarte in the lamp form. They were originally produced around 1925 or so and are quite famous Deco era forms.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline kerry

• Members
Cathy, Craig and John,
Thank you very much for your advice - its been a great help - I went through all the books I had, and found the famous sculture pictured in a lamp base, and the detail was much better, so it all makes sense!
Best wishes
Kerry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand