No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: id request for tankard please - ID = Magnor, Norway  (Read 1643 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
id request for tankard please - ID = Magnor, Norway
« on: April 12, 2010, 07:38:18 PM »
last one for this evening.    The guy at the boot sale swore blind it was Whitefriars, so I paid four quid, but now I can't find it in the books.  125mm tall, lovely polished pontil indent, and with hollow handle.   The construction is not 'cased', but does have that 'Pewter' look of some of the later wfrs. pieces.  I have googled 'tankards' on the whitefriars.com site but didn't help me, so grateful for ideas please, and as always my thanks for looking.  

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for tankard please
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:13 PM »
well, presumably it's not  -  but having looked and thought a bit more, I remembered that the Wedgwood decanter that I posted on 28/3 had a hollow handle also.   So, might the fact that this tankard has a hollow handle indicate that it was Wedgwood as well??  Not necessarily a very academic piece of deduction but clutching at straws really.   Are there any Wedgwood buffs out there who might know if this common denominator meant anything, or are hollow handles not uncommon on a variety of productions.   And is this deep smoky colour a Wedgwood trade mark, or not.   Just felt I wanted to get to the bottom of this one.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 01:29:57 PM »
Knew we'd discussed these sometime Paul: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,4058.0.html - no conclusion as yet though. :(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
My (somewhat pathetic) thoughts were also along the lines of Wedgwood - going by the hollow handle alone.

It looks like a good piece of something, Paul - but is it easy to drink from? It looks as if there's an attractive, but completely impractical, turn-in on the rim.....
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »
Anne - sincere thanks for spending time hunting that link  -  very interesting, although I notice you say that your item has a solid handle.    I really thought I might have had a good lead when I compared my tankard to my Wedgwood decanter - but seems to have fizzled out a bit now.  Certainly the moulded rings around the body are quite similar.   I have in fact just sent off for Susan Tobin's book re Wedgwood - don't know if that will help me though.   I wonder if Steven did actually buy the tankard he saw in the charity shop?

Sue - yes, well at least we were both thinking along the same lines re the handle issue - I must be improving ;) - and it is a quality piece.     I tend not to use the things I buy - might one day pick up something of real value and end up breaking it, especially if alchohol was involved  -  I beleive the top rim is quite thick (can't quite remember exactly, as I'm at work at the moment) - so could be a mouth full.     I wonder why the guy at the boot sale felt so convinced it was wfrs.
Perhaps Ivo is correct with Empoli  -  but hopefully someone will have a definitive answer soon.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 02:10:57 PM »
 >:D

I imagine the wfs attribution was made on the basis of it having a round polished pontil mark, Paul!
My guts don't say Empoli, but I only really know the big coloured textured bottles with matching stoppers, which are not of remotely the same sort of quality as this. (but I still like them).

A thick rim would be easy enough to drink from - it's the turned-over-and-in bit I think would result in the contents dribbling down my chin rather than into my mouth!

(not that I can't manage to get stuff dribbling down my chin anyway - and I don't touch alcohol any more, so I can't blame that!)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 02:56:39 PM »
I would put big money on it not being W/Fs . ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 03:26:54 PM »
thanks jp  -  think we would all do that now ;D

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 03:39:07 PM »
Magnor, Norway.  :smg:

John

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: id request for tankard please - ID = Magnor, Norway
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »
many thanks for your time and trouble spent looking John  -  really appreciated.     One more down, umpteen still to go.     Just putting another 'tankard' over in the 'British' section  -  although I do know (I think) whose that is.  :sun:   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand