No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: large opalescent vase, raspberry design - ID = Verlys, France, "Les Cabochons"  (Read 10497 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: large opalescent vase, raspberry design, gorgeous, any idea's
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
 >:D

Are you another one with twitchy fingernails, just itching to get at the tiny paint spots, Christine......?

Beautiful vase. I'd completely agree Verlys, but don't know anything about the ins or outs. I've had this vase in a gorgeous rosy amber colour.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 05:07:26 PM »
Yeah there is quite a few little tiny spots all over it, on cheap pieces im fine with just scratching them off (quite enjoyable :thup:) but with this being a bit nicer i was a little nervous of flaking it, the bit on the bottom is quite thick... why oh why cant people use dust sheets or move things >:(.
I will give it a go tonight once little 'un is in bed.
This has to be up there with one of my favourite pieces of glass in my collection (sadly  :cry: its on the move soon)
michelle

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 05:36:15 PM »
Nail varnish remover will usually shift paint everything else fails at (including paint stripper). Soak a cotton bud in some and give it a rub.

John

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2010, 05:49:21 PM »
will have to go out and buy some john (im really not a girly girl i dont think ive ever had nail varnish tell a lie i did go through a bit of a black stage but think the look was half picked off black nail polish anyway so no need for remover :chky:)
thanks all

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
Very good work on the Verlys attribution, but might note that Verlys of America pieces were made at the Holophane Glass Co. in Newark, Ohio. My employer, Fenton Art Glass, bought this and other Verlys of America moulds in the mid-1960s. We've made this Vessel of Gems vase in a variety of colors, and I think it looks best in transparent or opalescent glass rather than opaque. Incidentally, some folks like to call it the "golf ball" vase.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2010, 08:37:11 PM »
many thanks James, ive seen a few now and definatly prefer it in the Opalescent like mine  ;D
its now in the marketplace  :cry:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32335.new.html#new

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
 :o

Not nail polish remover, please!!!!!!! - that just spreads it into any tiny pits in any satinisation on the surface!!

Fingernails. They won't harm the glass. :thup:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline jonchellycain

• Members
    • my picasa album
thanks  sue, I sat and had a good pick last night got the big bit off the bottom, just got to get the few little tiny spots now  :thup:
michelle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand