No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can anyone ID this small vase please? - ID = Monart  (Read 1796 times)

Offline mbdouglas

• Members
Can anyone ID this small vase please? - ID = Monart
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:56:02 PM »
Can anyone help with ID? This vase is 8cm tall with mixed colours - yellow, deep pink, blue and green. The base is flat and polished. The glass contains air bubbles of various sizes. I would like to know if it is of any value also.
Margaret

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Can anyone ID this small vase please?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 03:56:05 PM »
Wow, this certainly IS something - it's Monart. Quite possibly a miniature. If it is, it is of fairly serious value.

Would a moderator be so kind as to shift this thread to the British and Irish glass forum, so the folk who really know about it can comment?

welcome to the board, mbdouglas. Have a search/ look around that forum for Monart + miniatures - there has been recent discussion about these!

I've just got hold of a ruler, (tape measures have all gone into hiding - I know I had one yesterday - it was snaking all over the sitting room floor. I knew tidying it up was a mistake.)
8cm is marginally over 3" - you may need to check the "Scotlandsglass" website for the shape number - that will give you the sizes of vases made in this shape, and if this size isn't one of the "normal" range, then it's a miniature - rather a scarce a highly desirable beast!

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:05:54 PM »
Hi
In my opinion it is a Monart vase. The catalogue shape is RA and size code X1. Monart glass was made in Perth Scotland by J Moncrieff glass-works between 1925 and 1961.
Your particular vase is classed as a miniature and therefore quite desirable among Monart collectors. As for value, I have 3 Monart miniature vases, £50 is the most I have paid for one, in saying that I think I have been lucky with the price I paid for them.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »
 ;D

£50 is the most you've paid, Gary?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline mbdouglas

• Members
Re: Can anyone ID this small vase please? - ID = Monart
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Thanks very much for the info. I'm delighted it's Monart. I had not recognised it due to the small size, the unusual colours and the lack of aventurine. I'm not a Monart expert obviously. I suppose value will depend on where it's sold and if 2 or more people want it. Thanks again.
Margaret

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Can anyone ID this small vase please? - ID = Monart
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:21:44 AM »
 ;D

I think Gary was unusually lucky to get his as cheaply as he did.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand