No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Today, I have mostly been buying ruby glass...  (Read 2289 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Today, I have mostly been buying ruby glass...
« on: November 24, 2005, 09:39:26 PM »
Do these prod anyone's memory buttons?

Vases, 4.75" tall. They're identical shape and height, but have completely different rims. Ones has nicely rounded edges, and the other is quite sharp and beveled.

Bowl with controlled bubbles, 4" across.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:31:48 PM »
Isn't the bowl WF?  Does it have a circular ground pontil mark?  I'll have to get mine out the shed...
I am not a man

Offline Tigerchips

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:54:54 PM »
Curious, the one on the right appears to have an orange colour on the inside of the vase and the other one doesn't.  :?
One day I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. William Hartnell

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 11:56:26 PM »
I'm not sure if it's WF - the shape in profile is slightly more rounded than the pictures in the catalogues. It does have the correct pontil mark, though - but then doesn't 75% of all Polish/Chinese glass too?  :lol:

And the vases are both the same colour, it's just the lighting on the right side making it orangey.  :)

Offline bubbles

• Members
    • http://www.glassbudvases.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2005, 02:35:46 PM »
I understand that the Whitefriars bowls have a small lip that runs around the inside of the top of the bowl, which might help to identify this one.  Its difficult to describe this exactly but I hope this may help.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2005, 03:37:07 PM »
I know what you mean, and it does have one!  :)

vidfletch

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2005, 05:17:53 PM »
They look like Whitefriars but I am not sure. The vases could be but they did so many smooth walled cased items from the sixties onwards it is hard to tell. If they are they will be Pattern 9647 from 1965

Same goes for the bowl. It may be Pattern 9099 but a lot of Murano ones are similar when this small.

Put the photos on the "Is it Whitefriars?" section on www.whitefriars.com and ask on www.whitefriarsorg.org/mf . You will get your answer.

Vidfletch

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2005, 11:28:42 PM »
Hi. Thanks for the info - I think they're 9099 - I just didn't see the photo of the vase tucked away in the catalogue when I had a quick browse after I bought the vases.  :roll:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand