No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unsigned Legras??  (Read 5247 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Unsigned Legras??
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
Another find today on the same stall as the possible Flavio Poli I found this.  I did pay more for it than I usually do but it was calling out Legras.  It is not signed but feels of quality and has a largish polished pontil with outer rings.  It is pate de verre and stands just under 34cm tall.  Yellow and orange smattering cased in clear (well sort of clear).  Is it Legras or similar??
Thanks as always
Margi
PS I think I have seen it in one of my books but for the life cannot see it now but If I do find out of course I shall update.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Unsigned Legras??
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:49:12 PM »
Definite not pate-de verre,looks a bit Bohemian to me,doubt it's Legras,
                                                                               Keith.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »
It is the same glass as one of my haunts has for sale and they have it also as pate-de-verre.  Definately is not standard crystal or glass what would you call it satinized??  I have seen the same colours etc used will try and pull the image up.  Thanks for thoughts Keith

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:50:18 PM »
Please check your definition for pâte-de-verre. It is powdered glass baked in a mould. It is a very expensive procedure and currently the only producers are Daum and The Grand from Taiwan. I think I mentioned before that French dealers misuse the term constantly to apply to anything semitransparent or semi opaque or anything satinated. Don't pick up the habit (as the bisshop said to the actress). 

I agree that the yellow base with white splitters rolled in is most likely Czech, not Legras.   

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
Thanks Ivo I consider myself told I have read the definition in one of my books.  May I take this opportunity to say there is no white at all on the vase.  this picture is more a true definition on ebay France 150437929966 I am not saying I trust their attribution this is for colour purposes only as is 350282515076 also ebay France.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 04:57:26 PM »
Had a look at the first ebay item(can't find the other) and that looks Bohemian to me despite the sig'.all the Legras pieces I've seen are signed Legras in full,sorry I can't be of more help,
                                     Keith.

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Legras did use the mark shown on the two examples on ebay. I can not attest to the authenticity of those pieces.

I do not believe the "Leg" mark was used after WWI. I am not 100% sure of this, but the research I have done has indicated that the "Leg." mark was used on enameled pieces when the company was Legras & Cie. After WWI they merged with Pantin Glass Works to form Verreries et Cristalleries de St Denis et Pantin Réunies. At this point I believe they continued to use the full "Legras" signature on some pieces through the 20's & 30's. I am not sure the use of the "Leg," signature continued after the merge, but I do not know for sure.

Attached is an example of the signature on a different style piece that I know to be authentic. The style of enamel work this piece would tend to make me believe they used the mark after WWI, possibly into the late 20's or early 30's, which is what this design strikes me as...

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:21:58 PM »
Thanks for all thoughts it is not a keeps so will pop it on ebay under possible bohemian still a very quality item.

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 06:50:55 PM »
Should have asked Craig first :-[shows what I know or don't know! :pb:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 07:28:37 PM »
They are not the standard Bohemian yellow and white, as they don't have the almost orange yellow spatters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand