No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Very heavy pink bubble vase with curved top  (Read 872 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Very heavy pink bubble vase with curved top
« on: May 21, 2010, 03:11:05 PM »
Good evening
I purchased this vase and admittedly its the most I have spent on a piece of glass but can I get an id on it - not for the lack of trying.
It is a very very heavy piece, tall with large bubbles.  A beautiful pink, well if you like pink - I do.  Heavily encased.  The base its flat and highly polished. 
Could anyone kindly help id please.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Very heavy pink bubble vase with curved top
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 03:41:42 PM »
hello Margi  -  nice looking pale cranberry colour.        I can't think of anything sensible to say, the weather is a little hot, so I will say that .......not surprised you can't find out anything, as apparently you have said -  "not for the lack of trying"...............now if you had said "not for the wont of trying"  -  who knows, you may have found the answer ;D    From your pictures I am unable to see any wear on the base - am I correct? - so it's very modern do you think.     And when you say "encased"  -again I don't see too well  -  is there a clear casing either over or inside the piece?   How tall please.     Italian perhaps.   Best Wishes            Paul S.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 04:24:23 PM »
Paul, maybe my phrase was a little out - when I say not for the lack of trying I mean it as I have made my eyes blurry and getting nowhere but as I read that back I can see what you mean  ;D
Anyway I would deff say it is encased in clear more thick at the bottom and then thinner towards the top but I am not the best at describing.  Pic 1 I think just captures this.  It weighs a wopping - hold onto your seat 7.2lb and it stands just under 33cm tall.  You are right it has no wear but I see this item as either 1960/1970s or very today.  I think its a fabulous piece.
meanwhile whilst it is being admired or not as the case may be here on the GMB I shall carry on searching.
TIA
Margi

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 06:15:14 AM »
Been having more of a scour around and can now re-name this as a top hat cranberry vase.  I would also like to add that there is a slight leaning tower of pisa thing going on. 
Thanks
margi
Enjoy the sun all!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
congratulations Margi  -  glad you have found a more accurate description - and must admit I too am a bit of a fan of cranberry glass.    Bet it looks really great on a window sill with the sun shining through  -  hope you don't have any cats that might be a hazard to such a lovely piece of glass, but at a tad over three and a quarter kilos it should stay put ;D.     Re the weather, looks as though the south of the U.K., at least, is on course for a very warm day - which bodes well for tomorrow's boot sales ;)   best wishes to you           Paul S.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:33:14 PM »
If only I had window sills in my house  :cry: it was made in 1814 so more of a farmhouse style.  Its currently sat on a unit but now I have it it doesnt look right so might have to go  :cry:
Have been to a vide grenier today (boot sale) 200 stalls but it was hubby that added lots to his glass ashtray collection I got a couple of interesting bits, one might be beranek but then again with my luck maybe a chinese one and some other bits and bobs.  Well its now 29c so off out to soak up the sun and read some of my glass books.
Au revoir tout

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »
Bad news(?) I'm afraid :-\ :'(  I believe that this vase is very young, since I've seen them in TKMaxx in recent times (last 18 months). From memory 'Made in China'.

Nigel

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:59:13 PM »
Thanks Nigel.  We do like it just where does it go is the question for us.  China does surprise me somewhat on this one but not doubting in the slightest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand