No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight crizzle stones...  (Read 7481 times)

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
Isle of Wight crizzle stones...
« on: May 21, 2010, 05:45:03 PM »
Hi all I have noticed recently there have been a few Isle of Wight crizzle stones appearing for sale on the web and was wondering how many have been made
and the comparative rarity of these pieces. They have been made by Timothy Harris and are signed as such and I was considering trying to acquire one for an
investment piece. The prices seem high to me compared to the super rare Michael Harris Mdina ones any thoughts... Paul.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Isle of Wight crizzle stones...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 06:11:47 PM »
I was surprised at the price one reached on ebay recently, it probably more than doubled the price it was originally sold for, not bad in three years.

As I understand it, around twenty or so have been made, some in 2007 and a few more in 2009,  it may not be that easy to find one to buy.

A few photos of the three I was lucky enough to pick up are in this album: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/MiscellaneousGlass#

John

Offline PAUL H

• Members
    • GREAT RETRO GLASS
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
John I am so jealous you are a lucky man.. have you any pics of the bases and are they limited editions or one offs.. they are beautiful.
GREAT RETRO GLASS

Classic 20th Century Design

www.greatretroglass.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 11:59:05 PM »
I guess each of them is a one off, nature of the beast. Not limited editions as they are not numbered in that fashion. The bases are ground and polished.

The 2007 and the 2009 stones I have seen are signed and dated. The 2007 stones also, as far as I know, have a number engraved (I haven't handled them all so can't be definitive),  I am fairly sure the no1, no2 etc. refers to the colour. The blue ones are no1, that amethyst one on ebay was a no2, might as well add a link to it before the photo disappears: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ISLE-WIGHT-GLASS-CRIZZLE-STONE-VASE-SIGNED-/330430677708?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Art_Glass&hash=item4cef3402cc

Don't know what the number on the turquoise one sold at the National was, I think I was offered that one for sale some time ago but I bought this Mdina fish vase instead. I wish I could have afforded both.

Next time, if there is one, to hell with the overdraft.

John

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 08:36:49 AM »
Several are now for sale at the Isle of Wight Studio Glass website: http://www.isleofwightstudioglass.co.uk/acatalog/Specials.html

Scroll down for the three examples.

John

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
John, with the fish vases, are those real cracks in the glass? I quite like the fish vases but those cracks look off putting to me.  :huh:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:50 AM »
They're not cracks; they are where another layer of glass has been added.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 09:57:19 AM »
Thanks lustrous...they look like cracks in the photos. I have seen a few photos and they look like cracks to me. We never seem them here in OZ. I think i would still pass on them though. Although they look nice.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 09:57:56 AM »
Oh my word!  :o

Is it just me, or does anyone else find the prices shocking?

Why do the crizzle stones cost so much?  Is there real gold used in them?  Is it snobbery?  (Forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions, but I'm curious).  They are pretty though.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »
They are one-offs and individually hand made. Their production is also quite time-consuming and relatively difficult. They are art made by a top-level craftsman. The yellow is silver salts not gold. They are not tiny either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand