No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: MURANO URANIUM VASLINE FISH DARK BLUE AND GREEN  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Fisher Brookfield

• Members
MURANO URANIUM VASLINE FISH DARK BLUE AND GREEN
« on: May 29, 2010, 10:54:19 PM »
Hi all hope someone can help me to identify this stunning uranium / vaseline fish. I have tested the fish under a UV black light and it glows a very bright green. The fish looks so different from all angles. It is 10" in height x 5.75" wide. Hope someone can help me identify the maker of this stunning fish. Thanks for looking.

Fisher

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: MURANO URANIUM VASLINE FISH DARK BLUE AND GREEN
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »
I am surprised that it glows under UV...it doesn't look like uranium glass to me.  I guess it must be a trick of the light.  :) :)
I am not a man

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 03:13:02 PM »
Hi Fisher Brookfield,

I can see you have a good quality fish there.  Yes, I can tell that this fish would glow under U.V. light by the glowing  uranium green color on it's belly and tail.  Sorry that I cannot help with a maker.  Possibly Cenedese maybe? 

Colors can fool you.  I bought a Galliano Ferro fish a few months ago off of Ebay for $20. My fish's main body is blue too but it has green uranium stripes going throughout the body so I would have never put two and two together if I didn't look at the fish closely and then put it under black light.  Sometimes you just never know with the naked eye and other times it is easy to tell.  The blacklight is a good way to a confirm uranium piece.  I hope someone else comes along and can help identify your fish for you.

tam bam

Offline tam bam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:26:21 PM »
I meant to add one more thing.  This is something that I found on Rubylane that someone is selling.  It is a bowl that glows under U.V.  I would have never imagined it glows under U.V. but as you can tell in the pics that the seller has provided that it glows.  I wanted to post it as an example that just because it doesn't appear to made of vaseline glass doesn't mean that it is not. 

http://www.rubylane.com/shops/kyebayantiques/item/230

Perhaps on second thought too, your fish is a Galliano Ferro. 

tam bam

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:46:24 PM »
The one you've just linked to looks like Uranium glass to me tam bam.   :)  It's just that the green in Fisher's fish is a fairly dull and darkish green colour...not the traditional colour associated with reactivity under UV imho.  But I definitely agree somethings look like they should glow and don't, and somethings don't look like they shouldn't glow and they do!  ::)  :D

I wasn't making a firm rebuttal of Fisher's initial comments, but merely saying what was in my head when I looked at his glass.   :) :)

I am not a man

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:57:05 PM »
to avoid misunderstanding, it would be useful when submitting pictures of pieces that have known U. content, that one image at least shows this reaction.    "somethings look like they should glow and don't, and somethings don't look like they should glow and they do!    - is very true  - simply seeing green on something is no proof of U.     Not by any stretch of the imagination does the rather dense green on these images look convincingly like  "glowing uranium green color".   Therefore the original question was more than valid. :)     

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
Hi and thank you to all that have responded to this post. After reading some of the comments posted I will try to take some images of the fish under UV blacklight and post them tonight, the reason i say try is that I only have a UV blacklight torch and I have found it a little difficult to take good pictures holding a torch in one hand and a camera in the other. If i cant get any quality images I will purchase a UV blacklight lamp and post the Images. I can assure you that all the green glass on this this fish is UV reactive as I did shine the UV light into a box lot of glass items and both this fish and the large duck I have also listed shone bright green. Thank you all again.

Fisher

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
Sorry Fisher, I really wasn't meaning to contradict you earlier.  And I know it's VERY difficult taking photos of glow in the dark...I have the same problem myself...not enough hands!  Good luck with it!  :thup: :)
I am not a man

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 12:42:31 PM »
No problem Max I fully understand where you were coming from as I also had to check and double check and still said to myself "how on earth is that thing glowing?". It is very clever how the maker has made this fish it really is a quality piece of glass. I have another vaseline fish with controlled bubbles that is very nice, but no match for this one in my opinion. Thanks for taking time out to reply to my post.

Fisher

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
Hello Fisher  -  good to hear from you again, and look forward to your pictures of a 'glowing green fish :)   Many of the 'reaction' pictures that I post, have been taken with the torch in one hand, and the camera in the other - shouldn't be a problem unless you have the DT's ;D, although you may find that a quality torch performs better than a very small key ring type (they would work, but produce a smaller beam).   You could also try asking someone else to hold the torch whilst you snap the pictures.   I don't really know why it should be considered ....VERY difficult taking photos of glow in the dark  -  I would think it is a lot more difficult in the daylight ;D    But a little intrigued that you have a 'blacklight torch'  -   as blacklight is usually reserved for the tubes (they have a dense blackish coating on the glass, so that when in use the viewer isn't blinded by the u.v. light  -  and its always amusing to see the U. glass light up from what appears to be just a black glass tube. :)      Can assure you that if you get a reasonable quality u.v. torch, you'll be a dab hand in no time at taking pictures with the torch in one hand and the camera in the other  -  the only thing you need is the dark ;D.   See here for torches.... www.netpcdirect.co.uk ..and would mention that when it comes to 'nm' nos. you need the higher no. which is more into the U.V.  -  lower nos. come closer to daylight (so I'm told).......waiting to hear from you.   Paul S.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand