No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help needed please.... Black Glass question.  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Help needed please.... Black Glass question.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 02:15:13 PM »
Two US manufacturers made pure ebony/black, Pairpoint & Erickson & there has  been speculation that Carl Erickson may have brought the formula with him after serving his apprenticeship & 20 years with Pairpoint. Ken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 02:19:52 PM »
We make a great black color here at Fenton, and the key ingredients are manganese dioxide, cobalt oxide, and potassium dichromate. Incidentally, black glass is quite "soft" and takes longer to "set up" when our glassworkers are making pressed or blown items, so the required number of pieces to be made in a turn is LOWER than the numbers for some other colors.

James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
thanks Anne  -  my days of lapidary and gemology are far behind me, but from memory I don't think there is such a beast as a 'black' agate anyway, although it wouldn't surprise me if they hadn't managed to dye one blackish at some time.    You often see massive book end lumps of half geodes stained blue or yellow, and showing the attractive interior crystals.   The quartz group are notorious for not 'taking' dyes (too dense and hard)  -  which is why they sometimes irradiate colourless quartz crystal clumps to give them a smoky hue, and palm them off on unsuspecting tourists as Smoky Quartz from the Cairngorms ;D
Sorry Lustrousstone, I had forgotten to thank you for your help, my apologies.   If you were on hols., hope you had an enjoyable break.
Now, about this black glass............... ;D

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 03:38:45 PM »
When I was making jewellery many years back, the pure black stone was black agate and the ones with swirls, streaks and blobs in were defined by variant names such as banded agate or snowflake etc...  so I've always understood black agate to be a plain black stone...  but I do think it's one of those areas where different folks use different names and confusion reigns! Perhaps it should have been better described as obsidian like rather than agate like.  :-\

Hush don't let my inhouse geologist hear it. Agate is defined by its structure and comes in many colours - solid or banded. Obsidian is volcanic glass. They are not related.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »
Yeah I know Ivo, and I was hoping you (or your inhouse geologist!) might comment... :)  It was more the colour than the structure that I was commenting on... pure black, you see. ;)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
Almost any colouring oxide if enough is used will give something which for practical purposes looks black.  The one used mostly (and by us, always) was manganese dioxide.  It is effective and cheap.  Black was also a good way of getting rid of any old cullet of any colour, including enamel decorated.  If not too much was used at once the manganese would easily swamp the diluting effect of lighter coloured cullet.

Adam D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand