No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1969 Lausitzer Vase  (Read 763 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
1969 Lausitzer Vase
« on: June 04, 2010, 08:22:22 PM »
In a list of 28 things to do before you die, I wouldn't necessarily suggest viewing Pamela's entire 'Glas Musterbuch' images, but I guess it's the only way of discovering attributions for some less obvious pieces.   Bit much after a day at the office staring at a screen  -  and you end up with 'catalogue starers eyes' - mouse scrollers forefinger, and a sore posterior.    However, out of two pressed pieces I needed to id, this one I did find  -  so it's just a 'pic. in the flesh' so to speak, should anyone be vaguely interested, and for the technically minded, NO it is not U - the reason being that in Germany in 1969 (like most other places I guess) uranium was no longer being put into glass (Murano excepted, I think Christine?) :).    Must admit however, I had thought before the id, that it would turn out to be Czech.    The catalogue details are:  Lausitzer 1969 No. 68 Seite 79 (iii) - footed vase in green - 25 cms. tall.(hope I got that right Pamela) :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: 1969 Lausitzer Vase
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:30:04 AM »
Well done! :)

I think others may have been using uranium after 1960, for instance those gorgeous Rihiimaen Pala vases.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:46:18 AM »
I suspect that design may well be older than 1969, simply from the style.

I also suspect that uranium was being used in Czech glass for a good while post war, probably until colorant supplies ran out. There is just too much of it around and often 1950s jewellery has uranium stones in it; sometimes the "same" stones will be a mixture of uranium and non-uranium.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 08:58:15 AM »
thanks to both of you  -  and yes, you are of course quite correct re the later use of Uranium.   Just goes to show the dangers of making sweeping generalizations. :-[  thanks especially to Christine for details of the use of Uranium post war. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand