No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drawn trumpet folded foot wine glasses... but how old?  (Read 1581 times)

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
Re: Drawn trumpet folded foot wine glasses... but how old?
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »
Hi David,
               ' But what is it in the picture that helps you date it? ,'
mmmmmmmmm    this could lead to a ramble but i will try not to,Georgian drinking glasses even those not made of the best metals but in the form of those which are considered fine glasses have always been considered to have a form and proportion that is very pleasing to the eye,there is I know a lot of very academic works on the subject of why art forms in architecture and other constructed works of art ,glass included,seem to have a natural balance and pleasing form to the human eye ,creating an appreciation for the objects, for me though being a mere mortal its a case of having been around probably thousands of 17thc and 18thc glasses for a goodly number of years, those forms become fixed in the brain and when something which 'just don't look right' appears ,you look closer , but it also helps that most of the repro type glasses have also been seen in the hand ,so those things combined help spot the fakes.repros etc
For the glass on ebay ,to my eye the stem is to short for the size of the bowl,out of classic proportion for a glass of this type,the foot looks a little flat  compared to a period conical foot and the fold looks like it may be a little fat for my liking ,and even with the bad photo the metal looks far to clear and bright, which are all pointers that have been noted on repros of this type that I have held ,

Anyway ramble over hope it helps a little,

Cheers ,
           Peter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline david31162

• Members
Re: Drawn trumpet folded foot wine glasses... but how old?
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 06:12:06 PM »
I'm glad you said form/proportions as that is all I could see,,,, i'm beginning to learn.
Thanks David

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand