No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Drawn trumpet folded foot wine glasses... but how old?  (Read 1580 times)

Offline david31162

• Members
Drawn trumpet folded foot wine glasses... but how old?
« on: July 01, 2010, 07:37:08 PM »
I've been looking for this type of glass for ages, but are they Georgian 1750 ish?? Paid quite a lot for these plus a couple of other old glasses(i'll post later) but not near the prices I've noticed when looking to buy another 4. It's fair to say they are a matched pair slightly different colour glass.
Both are 7inches high. Are repro's made? Not sure exactly what makes me unsure not the shape or the way they were made..perhaps the lighter colour of one and the price. Any ideas?   No worries if they are not so old, they are keepers and would probably get more use if of no value. Just 4 more to find.
Thank you. David
Here is a very similar one.        http://www.haresltd.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=84&osCsid=ae6f001549094e75d059e9879329d1a1

http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=757051864
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=442049949
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=757052797
http://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=757053363

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Drawn trumpet folded foot wine glasses... but how old?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 07:46:27 PM »
hello David  -  can't seem to reach the pictures on the photobox images - the size being shown is certainly bigger than 700. Might this be the reason?   The first one opens o.k. however.   :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 09:04:05 PM »
I've been looking for this type of glass for ages, but are they Georgian 1750 ish?? Paid quite a lot for these plus a couple of other old glasses(i'll post later) but not near the prices I've noticed when looking to buy another 4. It's fair to say they are a matched pair slightly different colour glass.
Both are 7inches high. Are repro's made? Not sure exactly what makes me unsure not the shape or the way they were made..perhaps the lighter colour of one and the price. Any ideas?   No worries if they are not so old, they are keepers and would probably get more use if of no value. Just 4 more to find.
Thank you. David
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v210/david-dj/wine1/
Thanks Paul, hope this is better.
Here is a very similar one.        http://www.haresltd.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=84&osCsid=ae6f001549094e75d059e9879329d1a1

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
Hi ,
       Looks like the real thing to me :hiclp: , c 1750 ish, copies are made and are pretty abundant though are always very bright in the metal and slightly off form ,thems too thick etc  , although untill seen in the hand I could not be 110% sure so I am afraid 99% is all I can give at the moment, to assemble a matching set would be pretty difficult as this form is made in a multitude of sizes though surviving origional sets do exist and can sometimes be purchased , the one you link to is of the same basic form as your 2 but probably not a very good match if trying to make a set , and the price is a high retail price, in the UK you could expect to pay around £100/150 (eBay, local auctios etc) for this type of glass , though larger sizes may cost more.(see my exhibition catalogue in the refference section for some large ones )

If you need any more info or would like me to look at some more photos ,contact can be made via email on the left.

Congrats on a good find ,  :thup:

Peter.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »
Wouldn't the bases have to be larger for these to be that old? Or am i misremembering what somebody put on the board at some point.

Carolyn

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:43:22 PM »
 Thanks Carolyn,I think I'm fairly happy with the shape and size of the base , just wasn't sure about the colour (of one in particular).
Thank you Peter, maybe I can show you some other pieces I've wondered about for a while.  I'd like to get hold of a copy, possibly to use but also as a reference. I imagine they all get sold as genuine though. How large do these glasses get by the way? Also in the auction and obviously from the same vendor,  were some similar short stem folded foot pieces I took to be vases (like a lager glass on a tiny stem)... they must have been vases..I hope so anyway they only went for £30 with about 5 OR 6 victorian decanters.
David

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 08:57:37 AM »
HI ,
          Later copies of 18thc drawn trumpets pop up all over the place , Ebay , auctions etc , though most times are listed as genuine,the others you mention with very short stems and large bowls sound like they could have been copies and hence the price,genuine examples can be up to 12 ins tall though the larger they get the more expensive they can be ,into the high hundreds for a nice one without any engraving.

With regard to feet on Georgian glasses there is an often quoted less than factual statement,that all feet must be bigger than the bowl size , this holds good for most ordinary plain footed smaller examples though there are very many that break this rule that are in origional condition and of course if the foot is folded and origional to the glass then there can be no argument that it is origional , many larger bowled glasses have feet both plain and folded that are smaller than the bowl, as said the rule usually applies to smaller glasses with plain conical feet,though no foot should not be dismissed as having had a trim based on size alone , inspection is the final deciding factor.14 in my exhibition is 11ins tall and 22 is 9 ins tall (both with folded feet smaller than their bowls)

Please feel free to mail me any pics of glasses that you would like an opinion on ,17th and 18thc  glass is what we do , all day every day  ;D

cheers ,
             Peter.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
I stand corrected. Confused, but corrected.

Carolyn

Offline oldglassman

• Members
    • uk
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:25 AM »
  I'd like to get hold of a copy, possibly to use but also as a reference. I imagine they all get sold as genuine though. How large do these glasses get by the way?
David

You will find a typical repro here on ebay ,probably very late 19th or early 20th c.          Item number:   360279425680

Cheers ,
               Peter

Offline david31162

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 03:44:27 PM »
Thanks Peter,
But what is it in the picture that helps you date it? The shape i guess , as it is hard to see the colour.
These would do fine for me as part of a harlequin set .
Those vases I mentioned from the same auction were very likely 12" glasses possibly copies though. Wish i had bought them. I've found a similar one in my collection that has always confused me. I bought it as a vase for relatively nothing, folded foot but engraved with the barley and vines or hops. I thought someone had been practicing engraving. However it was so knackered inside I haven't touched it.It was scratched and either waterstained or limed as it had been used as a vase for years. But reading this site over the years I believe much of this may be rectified . Ill post it after ive had a go at cleaning the limescale.
David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand