No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this Pate de Verre and who  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Is this Pate de Verre and who
« on: July 03, 2010, 02:59:33 PM »
Hello all on this fine sunny day.

I wondered if anyone could kindly confirm if this is Pate de Verre.  Ivo previously mentioned that the French are notorious for calling a lot of their glass PDV wwhen in fact its not.  I have a little doubt because the applied yellow decoration is shinier in some parts than others.  Quite a weighty item.  If anyone does know its manufacturer that would also be very much appreciated.

Many thanks
Margi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this Pate de Verre and who
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:21:36 PM »
highly unlikely Marg - looks Chinese to me - sorry to say.     I assume it doesn't glow.  Why should the French want to call glass pdv, when in fact it is not....is this a commercial sales ploy aimed at the unsuspecting tourist. ;D.   The texture and colour look far too uniform to be pdv.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
There would be no point in making something so simple via the complex and costly pate de verre technique. http://www.warmglass.com/pate_de_verre.htm

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 04:13:08 PM »
Thanks peeps.  The green doesn't glow but the yellow glows a more brighter yellow.  Incidentally talking about UVs what wavelength am I supposed to be on?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 05:25:36 PM »
according to Barrie Skelcher who was a health phycist at Sizewell - Uranium fluoresces most strongly with uv in the 'near range' of wavelengths i.e. around the 380 - 400 nm, and less well in the 'far range' which is at about 150 nm.  most of the torches that we use are something like 385 - 395 nm.   If you go to buy one, take a piece of U. glass with you  -  that way you can't go wrong. ;D

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 09:04:19 PM »
Got a different light today and was testing various pieces.  I popped this against it and wow the yellow glowed so bright was quite surprised.  Does anyone kindly have a feel of who could be behind the making of this piece please

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 09:24:14 AM »
hello Margi  -  are you saying that the yellow is actually fluorescing, or simply that being shiny it is reflecting more light than previously because your new torch is that much more powerfull.     Do know the wavelength of your new torch, and where did you get it from, if you don't mind me asking.   Perhaps you have supa-dupa batteries ;D    Don't think the yellow is U. glass, as it would need to be green to qualify for that category.   Sorry, still can't help with a manufacturer, other than saying it is possibly Chinese.

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 09:32:58 AM »
I have no idea what wavelength I have now except it runs off the mains and that it has both white and UV lights.  OH bought it but sorry him being a man (well sometimes not sure) he has forgotten where he got it. Will take pic later tonight to show the diff in the yellow it definately glows i was quite surprised myself.  Not doubting the origin just sharing my findings  :kissy:

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 08:40:10 PM »
Good evening here is the vase under UV not photoed as well as I hoped but still shows.  Also is it normal for the green to then look blue.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 06:18:03 AM »
Cadmium sulphate in the yellow I think

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia