No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: art nouveau 1908 vase any ideas please  (Read 1271 times)

Offline stew2u2

• Members
art nouveau 1908 vase any ideas please
« on: July 05, 2010, 09:13:22 AM »
hi again help with this vase please

there is always someone worse off .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: art nouvaeu 1908 vase any ideas please
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »
Stewtome — I'm looking for three pieces that I will photograph together that might throw some light on the attribution of your vase.   Two are lookalikes, so, to establish sameness, please would you provide height, also distance from outer point of one foot to the outer point of the next foot — don't mind metric or imperial as long as it is accurate.   Also an accurate weight would be useful as it should be close to the weights of my two (pressed glass weights are much less variable than hand-made).   You have a 1908 hallmark on the collar, is it Birmingham, Sheffield or London?   A view of the base might be useful.

Almost certainly I will be referencing Gulliver, so, if you haven't access to a copy, it might be worth ordering a copy from your local library.   They usually charge a pound or two for interlibrary loan to discourage timewasters.   It's a difficult book to learn, but the material is superb.    Note that the registration drawings at the back are Mervyn's copyright and must not be reproduced.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Re: art nouveau 1908 vase any ideas please
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 08:42:06 AM »
Stew2me2 — Still can't find my examples.

Here's the best I can do without pictures.

I believe that your solifleur / bud / lily vase is from an extensive range by Stevens & Williams dating from the late 1890s or slightly earlier until the 1920s or slightly later.   They are all ribbed, with a varying number of ribs of different weights.   The 4-rib version with heavyweight ribs was known as "Grotesque" (see Gulliver p218);  other versions were just termed "ribbed".   Sometimes the ribs were twisted into spirals.   The range comprised bowls, vases, celeries, jugs, &c.   What is particularly interesting about this range is that each piece started out by being pressed in a standard hand press, then immediately mounted, probably on what I believe is termed a spring punty or some other gadget, before being transferred to the master glassmaker for subsequent work.

They were made in Crystal, colours such as Straw Opalescent, Green, and Amber, and in what S&W termed "shaded colours", i.e. flashed colour, reducing in intensity to clear crystal, which is what you have.   On some examples you can just see the edge of the flashed colour, where the thin bubble of coloured glass was broken away from the inside.   Other examples have the colour slightly lop-sided, indicative of the difficulty of the process.   It is hardly surprising that S&W's prices for "shaded colours" were increased by about 30%.

All the examples of your vase that I have seen are exactly 8" (20.3cm) in height (a standard S&W size), and are in "shaded green".   Almost certainly an exclusive made for the metalbashers, so it will not be found in S&W's trade catalogues, although the pattern is quite likely to be found in S&W's factory pattern books.

Note that this use of Grotesque should always be qualified with or in the context of the manufacturer, S&W, as Walsh used the term to describe a completely different range.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 08:47:43 AM »
Ah hah!
how about this one? 1922, London hallmark.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34208.0.html
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:23:09 AM »
Andy — your six-rib version is new to me, but it must be the same attribution as it was such a complex process.   Also the hallmark on yours looks like London 1911 (q) to me (I'm using Bly, Discovering Hallmarks).   Stew's is definitely London 1908 (n), and I've just found mine, London 1912 (r) and London 1910 (p).   One of mine is slightly waisted and pot-bellied, but not as much as yours.   I see yours has slightly lop-sided flashing, as I mentioned above.   Can you see the edge of the green flashing?   Is yours exactly 8"?

BTW, I've just checked, and S&W certainly made an unfooted 6-ribbed pattern, and they also made patterns where each rib is comprised of a group of three single ribs.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:55 AM »
Bernard,
i will check hallmark, and other bits when i get out of Hospital, hopefully tomorrow.
These are quite nice vases, and it surprises me, that more wasnt done to polish the top of the ribs,
i think the rough ground finish spoils them a bit.
 :D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:53 PM »
Andy — It is inconceivable that S&W did that crude finishing.   That rough work was done by the silversmith.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2010, 05:18:10 PM »
Thanks Bernard,
I think you are right with the hallmark, more likely a q than a g, and 1911  ;D
Exact height of mine, 8 4/8" I cant see any edge to the green, it just blends into the clear glass.
Its got 6 ribs from top to bottom, and another 6 which finish half way down,
where the vase stem gets thinner.
Cheers
Andy
 :D

Offline Bernard C

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 05:26:22 AM »
See here for a flint example with a properly finished rim sold directly to its usual clients without a silver rim.   Note that this version has notched ribs, a typical feature of this Stevens & Williams range, further confirming the attribution of the silver rimmed examples.

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 06:51:58 AM »
Can you attach your pix again please Stew