No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Georgian decanter?  (Read 1342 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Green Georgian decanter?
« on: July 12, 2010, 02:50:28 PM »
What Ho! Am i right in thinking that this decanter is about 1830? Its 10" tall, cut all the way around with 2 rings. The stopper is also cut to match the body of the decanter with a star cut on the top and on the base. also there is good natural wear on the base, thx in advance, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tonyatl

• Members
Re: Green Georgian decanter?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 04:19:29 AM »
stylistically it could be georgian - possibly - but i have never seen a greenish bottle of that form....of course that means very little but it would certainly be a very unusual item it is of that vintage.

are the rings attached or molded into the neck? is the stopper hollow or solid? is there a pontil mark on the underside? is it smooth or rough? are there any bubbles in the glass? is it crystal or non-crystalline? i am guessing the former as you say that it is cut but it would be unusual if it is so.

and i ain't no ho.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 02:35:48 PM »
Hi, thx for reply. Im not sure about the rings i'm afraid, they look well put on, i can't see any seams or joins. the stopper is solid and the base is slopes in to the middle and the pontil has been cut into a star. I'm sure its crystal and there are odd tiny bubbles dotted about the place. I have just noticed there is number 6 on the end of the stopper and the same in the neck. cheers

Offline tonyatl

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:36:48 PM »
interesting.....there is evidence for both and older and newer dating.....

on the newer side is the solid stopper....earlier (e.g. georgian) stoppers were hollow. as the century progressed (19th) the stoppers became solid. i can't pinpoint an exact time for that development but in this case it suggests production later in the 19th century or 20th c.

on the other hand, the applied rings are suggestive of the earlier period. from your description it sounds as though it is not molded which would be an indicator of earlier dating. the star - if it is what i think it is - was a common 19th c. device which i would be reluctant to use as a hard dating point. it doesn't hurt age that it was hand blown.

the number 6 is a matching technique for placing the right stopper with the right bottle - again this tends to support an earlier dating.

bubbles were a common problem in early glass although i believe waterford had largely conquored the problem.

however, any of these characteristics could easily be employed by more modern glass artists. for example blenko has mimiced 19th century characteristics in some of its glassware to give an antique feel to its glass - not to deceive but to entertain. take it to an expert glass person for verification. maybe someone else on this board has deeper knowledge of old glass who could clarify matters.

Offline glassproblem

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:19:36 PM »
Hi,

The color is legit for the period.  But not a common one.  I see nothing to make me think the 1830 date isn't about right, except the solid stopper.  Style of the stopper is correct.  Are you sure its solid?  As noted above, they were usually hollow.  In fact I just picked up a nice, elaborately cut Irish/English decanter, same period, same stopper style (but hollow :)  )

A very nice piece, I think.

Frank

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
Hi Frank, I made an error, the stopper has got a large bubble in the top of the stopper but it doesn't go down into the stopper bit, Cheers Wolfie

Offline glassproblem

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 06:31:07 PM »
Then I think its legit for 1830.  Nice uncommon color.  I believe there is an example of a period decanter of that color in Antique Colored Glass by Middlemas, just a slightly different style.  But I don't have the book sitting next to me right now.

Congrats!

Frank

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:12:09 AM »
Yes, Davis & Middlemas, Coloured Glass show a decanter with a similar green colour on page 43. It was said to be c.1810.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 11:34:27 AM »
this is not a book that I know - other than it appears suitable for my pocket, price wise.    Can someone give just a brief resume or idea of contents.  Much appreciated and thanks in advance.

Offline glassproblem

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 01:17:55 PM »
Its a nice general survey of colored glass, focusing on English stuff.  Not an in-depth work but I find it a useful addition to the library.  It can be found quite cheap.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand