No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request please for Caithness vase  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request please for Caithness vase
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:58:35 PM »
something from lunchtime today, which at first I thought might have been an oddish wfrs. - but then I saw the acid etched mark and label.   I understand from Ivo's book that Caithness (1961 to present) did acid etch in the early days - so how near to 1961 might this be.   It's really a clever piece - cased for the entire height, as you can see from the shot of the top rim  -  is this technically 'sommerso' (submerged, which I learned from Anita).    Like most of us, I see shed loads of Caithness everywhere I go, particularly the smallish flecked vases found in just about every charity shop and boot sale, and made a personal choice long time back not to collect this factory  -  but I don't recall seeing anything like this before  - and it's a piece I will definitely keep.   About 200mm/8" tall.   thanks for looking, and grateful if anyone has the time to send a reply.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: date request please for Caithness vase
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »
I thought someroso referred to more than one colour.  :-\
These are really quite common up here, though marked is a bit unusual. They come in several colours, clear, neodynum, amber (a nice rosy kind of shade), amethyst, smoke and green (off the top of my head). They can sometimes be difficult to tell from the WFs ones - and I've been told by a WFs person that they can't always tell them apart either. (I offered some as part of my bit for the mould fund, but they were declined because of this. They went back to the charity shop where I found them)

Strathearn did clear ones as well, but they tend to have a "pointy" shape of colour in the base.

Sometimes they're tall like this one, but (particularly the neodynum ones) are a bit fatter.

If the base is a bit concave, moulded rather than polished flat, you should suspect Caithness.
Sorry, can't help with the date - have you trawled Frank's site, "Scotland's Glass" yet?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 01:02:25 PM »
thanks for taking the time reply.               The answer to your last question is NO............mainly because I no longer have the piece :cry:      I cleaned it out thoroughly - probably in water that was a little too hot  -  took the pics. which I then posted.........then went downstairs to watch television for an hour...........came back upstairs only to find a massive crack had run right round the base and ruined the thing completely.    So, it went into the recycling box.....and do you know, I actually quite liked it >:(   However, your reply is more than useful for the future, and I will use cooler water next time.     

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:36:36 PM »
Room temperature water is best - and a bit of biological washing liquid gets the muck out. Make sure your glass is at room temperature too. Sad, but I don't think you've ruined anything fabby. :-\
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand