No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Signed large freeform bowl  (Read 695 times)

Offline Margi

• Members
Signed large freeform bowl
« on: July 19, 2010, 08:04:24 AM »
Good morning I know I am pushing my luck with this large freeform bowl.  My first question is although it is glass and it has been mouth blown it almost feels like plastic - is there a specific name for this it is the first time I have come across it.  The second question is the signature to me it looks like L J does anyone recognize the name.  When I was speaking with the owner of this bowl he was explaining it was made mouth blown by an artisan and all pieces are unique and he never makes the same piece or similar twice.  It was purchased here in France.  It is quite large in amethyst and blues with a gold aventurine.  I didn't have the chance to ask if he new the name of the artisan as my daughter was pulling on my arm.
Any help appreciated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Re: Signed large freeform bowl
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 08:39:01 AM »
Nice.....but I have no knowledge :huh: ????
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:24 AM »
Italian maybe?

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 12:26:31 AM »
The design looks Polish to me.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 02:29:18 AM »
Hard for me to tell is the the signature etched?  (presumably "L. G." as far as I can tell)

What about it feels like plastic.  Is it the heft?  Or the surface feel?  Or how it rings if tapped?

[OT]
The whole thought of plastic feeling glass reminds me of this disgusting product I run into every now and then on thrift and flea excursions.  It's glass I think but it's got a rubbery coating on it.  I assume it comes out of china.  Some of it looks interesting enough to pick up but soon as I do I put it right back down and shudder a little.
[/OT]
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 05:24:20 AM »
Hi thanks for the reply

First of all its the look that makes me think plastic and then I pick it up and the weight feels like glass should.  The I give it a flick and its quite a thud (plastic) but then I tap it with my ring and it sounds completely different like glass again.  It is just weird.  When we turn the bowl over it looks cased on the base.  It is just confusing.  The signature is etched

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 05:42:14 AM »
Hard for me to tell is the the signature etched?  (presumably "L. G." as far as I can tell)

What about it feels like plastic.  Is it the heft?  Or the surface feel?  Or how it rings if tapped?

[OT]
The whole thought of plastic feeling glass reminds me of this disgusting product I run into every now and then on thrift and flea excursions.  It's glass I think but it's got a rubbery coating on it.  I assume it comes out of china.  Some of it looks interesting enough to pick up but soon as I do I put it right back down and shudder a little.
[/OT]

I have heard here, in Canada - that old AltaGlass (  http://altaglass.ca/component/option,com_gallery/Itemid,30/  ) from Canada has that slippery feeling on it.....almost as *if* it has something like Vaseline on it, then wiped off - but some of that residue feeling is still there.

I was told to wash the item with soap and water good -- then to feel the glass after, and then it will feel like regular glass, clean, smooth, and kinda squeaky clean. Then let the item sit for a while again -- see if that same greasy Vaseline feeling will come back. 

Kinda like how a person test pearls.....so I am just curious how this glass item feels after you have washed it, then let it sit for a while....just curious

At a collectors show here, one of the sure signs to about AltaGlass (made in Canada) -- as it will always do that....have that greasy feeling over time.  I am not saying that this is AltaGlass -- but it might be made of that same mixture as AltaGlass to give that feeling.

Just thought I would past this on....and curious to see if that greasy feeling comes back after washed.....

:spls:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Margi

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 06:04:13 AM »
Thanks Rose obviously its had a wash but will give it a good long soak then leave it for a bit see what happens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand