No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A rare NORTHWOOD piece to share  (Read 3650 times)

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
A rare NORTHWOOD piece to share
« on: December 09, 2005, 05:02:52 AM »
Hello all
I just happened upon a very rare Northwood piece that I did not even know existed in this color!
http://www.vaselineglass.org/mikado3.jpg
This is NORTHWOOD MIKADO, also called BLOOMS AND BLOSSOMS. It is most frequently seen as a clear pattern, with the flowers and leaves stained different colors. It is known in opalescent colors of clear w/opalescent, blue opalescent and green opalescent.  This is a vaseline opalescent nappy (uranium-based glass).  

When this piece is usually found in opalescent colors, it is either had the sides 'squared up' or the area opposite the handle has been brought to a slight point.  

What I found very interesting about this bowl (once I got it in my hands) is that there is also a pressed flower pattern on the inside of the bowl, similar to how some decorative carnival glass bowls are made, with a design pressed on both sides.  When you look down into the bowl and you can see the pattern that is on the outside, it is very confusing to the eyes. The outside has a very fine stipple pattern wherever there are no flowers and on the underside, it looks like a big daisy, complete with the center of the flower in the middle of the bowl.  

There are two versions shown in the EDWARDS/CARWILE book (under BLOOMS AND BLOSSOMS name) in their 5th Encyclopedia of Opalescent Glass (copyright 2005, pages 27 and 180).  the version on pg. 27 is the clear with opalescent rim with a square fold rim.  the version shown on pg. 180 is the round version in blue opalescent.  The blue opalescent version also has been identified as a "proof" piece, as the outlines of the blooms and blossoms are there, but the detail of the design is missing.  This book only indicates the nappy has been made in opalescent colors.

The blue opalescent version shown in Heacock's book on Opalescent Glass (A-Z) is shaped in the squared version and is labled an 'olive' dish.  It also does not have the pressed pattern on the inside.

Question:  Any thoughts that this might be a test piece, as it has a pattern on the inside as well as the outside?  The pattern on the inside also does not resemble the pattern on the outside.  The flowers are a different shape and the leaves are more detailed, smaller, and shaped slightly different. I figured out how to make the inside pattern stand out and eliminate the outside pattern.  I used a heavy piece of foil and laid it on the inside, and then rubbed the foil down flat until the pattern showed through.  Hope this helps someone recognize the inside pattern.

http://www.vaselineglass.org/mikadoINSIDE.jpg

Dave
aka: Mr. Vaseline Glass

Offline Ron

• Members
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 04:44:12 PM »
Sounds like either a test or a mistake. Most mistakes were trashed.

Offhand I can think of no other Northwood opalescent pieces with a design on both the outside and inside.

BTW, nice snipe. Mine didn't go through.  :lol:

Offline mrvaselineglass

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.vaselineglass.org
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 09:11:14 PM »
I got a reply from both James Measell (historian for Fenton and author of a couple of books on Northwood) and Jim thinks the internal pattern is Northwood's POPPY pattern.  In addition, the fully formed flower on the underside of the bottom is different than the regular star-sunburst that is on the other opalescent versions, so that all lends credibility to it being a test piece that wandered home.

Holly McCluskey, curator of the Oglebay Museum in Wheeling WV, also wrote back, and the museum does not have a piece of this pattern in this color.  Someday, it will probably end up there, as it is very unusual!
Dave

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 09:24:41 PM »
Dave, congratulations on that wonderful piece.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 09:41:21 PM »
Dave,
Nice find.
you wrote:
Holly McCluskey, curator of the Oglebay Museum in Wheeling WV, also wrote back, and the museum does not have a piece of this pattern in this color. Someday, it will probably end up there, as it is very unusual!

I find this most admirable... and your generous attitude is to be highly commended.... the value of passing knowledge from one generation to the next is equalled only by planting trees so our children can enjoy them.
regards,
Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 09:58:19 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
.... the value of passing knowledge from one generation to the next is equalled only by planting trees so our children can enjoy them.
regards,
Marcus

Hear! Hear! Marcus... and not just our children, but their children and their children's children as well.

Well done to Dave on his find as well... it's a very attractive piece.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand