No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Picture Paperweight Chinese  (Read 1931 times)

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
Old Picture Paperweight Chinese
« on: August 02, 2010, 07:11:20 PM »
Please help with ID of this paperweight, looks to have some age and I thought maybe Chinese but cannot find any other similar, just under 3" in diameter, uneven unpolished concaved base

Thanks Roy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Old Picture Paperweight Chinese
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »
Looks like a 'Chinese White' to me.  They came with all sorts of different pictures, so I'm not surprised you haven't found one exactly like it.  It could indeed have some age, but I believe the Chinese have been making these again recently.  Still, old or new, I think it's very nice  :) 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 09:24:48 PM »

Hi.  It is a very typical Chinese White. If you look in the 2010 PCA Bulletin you will find an article on these.....by me!  This is one from the 1920 - 1940 period, I think.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 10:35:43 PM »
For Roy:
Oh! I love that one... I think Chinese whites are simply gorgeous...

For Leni,
Do you have evidence that the Chinese have restarted the production of traditional Chinese whites (I am not talking the modern transfers that can be found everywhere)? It would not surprise me, except that both Alan and I had doubt whether this would be commercially feasible. I also think that they may have been produced later in the XXth that it often believed... Anyway any information you may have would be really welcome.

Many thanks.

Sophie

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »
No, I wasn't meaning there were new traditional style Chinese Whites, Sophie.  I was referring to the ones with transfer prints.  Richard Giles wrote an article about them in the Paperweight Collectors Circle newsletter earlier this year. 

I believe the Chinese have started producing something with hand-painted pictures in, but these are the 'painting inside' ones (like the 'snuff' bottles), and are more like Christmas baubles than paperweights. 

Sorry I don't have any more information than that - all I know is picked from someone else's brain!   ;D   ;)
Leni

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 03:44:46 PM »
Many thanks, Leni.

This was very helpful. For a minute I thought that new 'traditional' Chinese whites were been produced again and I was really excited!!! New paperweights to hunt and all that... Never mind. For the record I am not impressed by the 'painted inside' baubles/paperweights much (nor by the transfer ones).

Thanks again,

Sophie

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
Thank you very much for all your replies and confirming it is Chinese, I have to admit I had not seen one before and agree they are quite nice.

I never actually bought the paperweight, my wife found it in a charity shop

Thanks again Roy

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 03:39:48 AM »
Hi Roy!  I think 'your' Chinese White is quite nice.  The colors look to be bright and the scene well set.  I hope you trotted right down to that charity shop and made it yours.  If nothing else, you could list it on (where else?) ..... eBay!

Lily :or:

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 03:13:43 PM »
Hi Lily

When my wife found it she sent me a picture on her phone , I tried to phone but in a bad area when I picked her up I asked what it was and she said a paperweight as I could not tell from the small picture.

As I could see it had a price of 50p on it I said at 50p I would of had expected you to buy it regardless which she had, I guessed as much Chinese but being honest had not heard of or seen a Chinese white before, but I do look at all paperweights and pretty sure would have bought it myself for that price.

I will put it on the glass market place for you to see on behalf of my wife as I feeling a little guilty at present as I am going camping with my 2 younger children for 10 days soon and leaving the wife at home to look after the builders who have a lot of work to do while the house whikle empty

Roy 

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:35 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, Roy!  Have a great trip with your kids.  Your wife might just be glad you are away while all the work is going on.  My personal experience leads me to believe people don't necessarily get along as usual with such commotion taking place.  Best to leave one in charge to deal ....

Lily  :usd:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand