No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: date request for Baccarat vase.  (Read 499 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
date request for Baccarat vase.
« on: August 02, 2010, 08:29:06 PM »
I couldn't resist putting this on the board - mainly because it has cleaned up much better than I had imagined it might.  You won't be able to see from the base pic., but it really does have the Baccarat circular back stamp (wine glass/decanter/tumbler) - mostly on the outer rim (which is why it has been heavily worn), with only a fraction inside the polished concave pontil mark.   The mark looks to be acid stamped.   Lot of wear on the outer rim of the foot, so could have some serious age, unless it was on a brick windowsill for 5 years.  about 7 inches/180mm tall - and the style looks 'deco' - but that may not necessarily be the case, and needless to say first pic. is before cleaning.     Top rim is ground/polished/bevelled.  Looking at a combination of Ivo's book and Miller's, it would appear that tableware etc. was acid badged after 1936 and right through to about 1970 ish.   I don't have the book for this factory, so very grateful if anyone could give some guidance as to the date, and possible use if not a vase.    thanks for looking
Ref. 'Glass Fact File a - z' -  Ivo Haanstra  -  2001
       '20th Century Glass'  -  Millers

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
Re: date request for Baccarat vase.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 01:15:21 AM »
Paul, Neat vase.  For what It's worth I can make out most of the letters in Baccarat and France for the mark.  Nice camera work.  I can't make out the glassware which would be between those words but not a big deal.  Sorry I don't know more about Baccarat to share but hope you find more info soon.  
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 09:36:24 AM »
thanks cubby  -  credit where it's due of course, and this little wrinkle of using an additional lens between the camera and the glass came courtesy of 'antiquerose' in Canada - and it really is very useful.     The base wear plus dirt meant that I didn't see the mark until I was back home - but very pleased to have found it  -  and bonus that the inside cleaned up so well.   If you have access to the printed marks you will see the wine glass/decanter/tumber that appear inside the roundel - although I was a bit worried, possibly, in saying this is the acid mark  -  as Baccarat also used a sand blast mark.  I'm assuming the piece is prior to 1970.    I also forgot to say that it's very heavy - six sided - and just straightforward clear glass (just in case anyone sees a little green ;))

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:56:27 PM »
Pleased to say that I have a successful conclusion for this vase.    I sent an email with pics. to the Baccarat Gallery Museum in Paris, and have the following reply from them:
"The vase on the pictures you sent us is the vase "Edith" created by Baccarat in 1958  -  (vase's drawing : Nr.17293).    The only one version existing was realised in clear crystal blown-moulded in the hot workshops, and then cut in the cold workshops of the Baccarat factory.     This vase has been offered in every catalogue from 1960 to 2010  -  although the backstamp on the piece in the pictures appears to be older  -  perhaps from 1960 - 1970.    Apparently, this particular piece has been a very successful design".

My thanks to Sandrine Fritz at the Baccarat Museum for her help.           All I need now is a positive response from Moser (thanks Astrid) on the citrine vase :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 05:40:08 AM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: WTG on your Positive Response on your Vase

thanks cubby  -  credit where it's due of course, and this little wrinkle of using an additional lens between the camera and the glass came courtesy of 'antiquerose' in Canada - and it really is very useful.      ;))

...and Thanks for the Credit. 
Glad to see (and Happy to see) how really useful it has been with something like what you posted here.  Perfect Example!!!

~ Sometimes us *Glass Dummies* can come up with useful Tips Too.   ;D
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand