No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Tiffin Glass 1940s Goose Sculptures  (Read 919 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Tiffin Glass 1940s Goose Sculptures
« on: August 05, 2010, 12:14:18 PM »
I have been able to find no information at all on the net about these fine glass sculptures, other than to note a similarity in the base form with the better known pheasant sculptures from the same series which I am told was produced for a short time during the late 1940s.  Maybe these are rare?  Can someone direct me to a reference book that might show these?  If someone has a collectors guide, could you please tell me what they list as the "book value" for these, which I can use for insurance purposes?  Any help or additional information on them would be wonderful.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
Re: Tiffin Glass 1940s Goose Sculptures
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 12:45:45 PM »
The book Tiffin Glass 1940-1980: Figural, Paperweights, Pressed Ware shows several birds.  I didn't see these exact ones but if you put them on the free American site at http://chataboutdg.com/ you will find collectors who know their value.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 05:31:50 PM »
Thanks Janice.  Can you tell me if they're stylistically in the ball park of the ones pictured in the Tiffin Book?  What about the color (they're light gray/smoke glass; not brown as my photos suggest)?  Is it one of Tiffin's?  The quality of finish on these geese is exceptional (no bubbles), and the BASE is to my eye characteristic of Tiffin, at least as compared to the only one of these late 40s/early 50s animal figurines I can find a picture of anywhere, i.e. the pheasant.  Truthfully, I'm more concerned about authenticating them as Tiffin than in determining the value.

Offline deco.queen

• Members
    • Marvelous Metal
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 06:50:00 PM »
Yes, they are Tiffin. In fact I found one at the chatabout gallery. [LINK REMOVED]

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead.
Janice, Deco Queen
"The Fabulous World of Farberware" available at Amazon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 08:23:32 PM »
They are Smoke & thats a late color from the late 50's & then resurrected in the early 70's. Unusual color for the free blown figurals. Value is around $75-$95 each, but I would place yours at the higher $95 figure. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand