No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with sulphide portrait paperweight  (Read 1471 times)

Offline kmrotatori

• Members
Help with sulphide portrait paperweight
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:49:51 PM »
Hello again,
       After stating I wasn't going to purchase more weights without knowing what I was buying, I bought this one a few days ago. I have been looking for a similar example and have had no luck. I'll hope that it isn't Chinese (I seem to be attracted to them!)
This weight has the sulphide portrait of a woman surrounded by a fern (?) sprig on a spatter type base. The portrait has a broken neck and random bubbles are present. At a distance the fern looks solid green but under the magnification, it is visible that there is a white cane (?) with a translucent green outer covering. The spatter pattern is floating above the clear bottom base. The base is smooth and polished.
Anyone have any ideas on a possible maker or age?
Thanks again,
Kim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline alexander

• Members
Re: Help with sulphide portrait paperweight
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
My guess would be Belgian or Alsace / Lorraine region.
Alexander
Norwegian glass collector

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 02:08:20 AM »
I have had a few commercial sulphides and they tend to mark the sulphide with the sulphide designer's name.  The normal "flat" surface is the neck where it is sliced from the shoulders.  Perhaps there is a maker's mark you have not noticed below her "ruff".

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:07 AM »

Everything points to Alsace/Belgium for me too: the spatter ground, and the green fronds either side (the latter pointing more towards Alsace, perhaps). If it were antique French I would expect it to be heavy lead crystal, probably with a polished concave base. I have only seen signed sulphides in French weights.

As for age, my guess is 1880 - 1920. It is very difficult to suggest a maker - there were many, many glass factories in Belgium and Alsace who made spatter ground weights.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:56:50 AM »
While I personally do not have a great fondness for sulphides, your lady is lovely!  I would have brought her home as well, Kim; and while it would be nice to know for certain her heritage, what really matters is what you enjoy.

It seems to me that a number of older portrait sulphides were representations of real people.  Does anyone recognize or have any thoughts about this lady?

Just wondering .... Lily ;)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 02:10:25 PM »
A problem with many of the sulphides is that they were simply "A lady" or "A gentleman" and were not necessarily based on famous, or easily recognisable people.
KevinH

Offline kmrotatori

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 03:19:38 AM »
Hello Everyone,
     Thank you for all the comments and help.
  As I read through some of the other posts, I see so many beautiful weights. I hope I can learn what to look for to spot the keepers and not buy the stinkers. This weight looked interesting and I couldn't pass it up. I think she is a keeper  :)
I really appreciate the help,
Thanks again,
Kim

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand