No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Green Bubble Glass Bottle  (Read 1265 times)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Old Green Bubble Glass Bottle
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:00:43 PM »
I hope there are some bottle experts out there. This bottle is about 8" high. It appears to be mold blown with a distinct pontil scar and no mold lines. I guess one would call the glass bollicine or pulegoso, though I've become confused with these terms lately. The applied ring around the mouth is crystal clear glass with no bubbles. The bottle seems fairly old. I thought it might be a French, Italian, or Mexican wine/liquor bottle. I hope someone can help point me in the right direction.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: Old Green Bubble Glass Bottle
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 08:45:57 PM »
I'd call that pulegoso and would think it is Murano circa 1920s - there were many companies who used this fairly uncomplicated technique at the time. The better ones used better finish, of course....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:58:49 PM »
Thanks, Ivo. It is the answer I am hoping for (Murano or Empoli). South Central European bottle research is very difficult.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:43:48 AM »
If it were late 1920's Murano, it would be Martinuzzi for Venini, as that's when Martinuzzi developed pulegoso.  To me, it's too simple for Martinuzzi and the surface  isn't rough enough.  I'd be very happy if it were Venini, not just because I like to see Anita happy, but, well, snap, I've got a very similar piece, same finish on lip and same pontil mark.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:19:43 AM »
Your bottle is a lot like mine, David. I doubt mine is Martinuzzi. There is a green pulegoso piece for sale in a German market that has a pontil like mine. The seller calls it Martinuzzi, but there is no signature and the pontil is all wrong. The bubbles on my bottle are not right for Martinuzzi. They are rather mild, instead of profuse. I have a feeling they were made using sodium carbonate or bicarbonate. There is not a lot of pitting of the surface. I have a feeling our bottles were probably made to hold an alcoholic beverage of some companies. I can imagine a capped cork in the mouths. My first instinct when I picked up the bottle was that it was Empoli, though there is nothing I can put my finger on that made me think that. The pontil is not finished well, so the instinct was probably wrong.

I've wondered if Martinuzzi and Scarpa did indeed invent the foam glass techniques. Sometimes the Italian ego is strong, so I can have a difficult time sorting out the truth from the boast. If the techniques were invented in the 1920-30s, I imagine that other people used it right away if it was popular. Secrets were hard to keep after workers were free to come and go.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
Anita:

I think your analysis of the bottles is dead on. I hadn't thought about a cork in the neck, but it's possible as the inside of the neck is straight and smooth. I would have thought it would have some kind of label as with Drioli, though, if they were used for bottle.

"Sometimes the Italian ego is strong," you say. You have a very understated point there. I'm sure others were working with bubbles before this. Maurice Marinot, for example, was adding bubbles with a controlled chemical reaction in 1919, and there's not much of a jump from that to pulegoso, only a matter of degree. I had thought pulegoso was only used when petrol was added but the Catalog RaisonnĂ©  says that pulegoso was created with petrol or sodium bicarbonate.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand