No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Little loped Green Bowl (Maybe Ashtray?)  (Read 1806 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Little loped Green Bowl (Maybe Ashtray?)
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:43:54 PM »
 :hi: I got this today. 

I am thinking that it must be  :or:.  Part of me says yes, but then another part of me is unsure as there is quite a bit of wear on the base.  But still leaning more towards that.  It is about 5.5 inches wide, and about 2.75 inches tall at the highest point.  There appears to be something like a piece of ash in the very bottom.  It was very cheap, so I am out not much if it is...and also, it has NO glow either.

So is this  :or: IYHO......probably, eh? 
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
Re: Little loped Green Bowl (Maybe Ashtray?)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
?? been rooting around here, should be :sleep: but oh well....Glass First!!!!

Wonder IF it could be AltaGlass? ?? HERE ??

Did find another on Ebay that looks pretty much the same - but it is called there both Chalet/Murano ?? ( plus RARE  :24: )  so that attribution just about cover it all.  LOL, it does look very much like mine posted HERE !! as a *match*

:ooh:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 09:10:59 AM »
Don't let them make you mad. It is a well known piece from the sixties/ seventies - we keep finding them here. I think it is either Empoli or Altare or from Spain - quickly made, cheap and cheerful, unpretentious ashtrays for bistro tables. No, not Altaglass or Chalet.

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 04:51:12 AM »
New info??

Found this marked Altaglass mini bowl with label on Ebay ** HERE

Looks related to my post....I think....LOL (??)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 12:24:39 PM »
I think this actually has to be Altaglass, Canada. There is a ‘Hand made by Altaglass’ labeled example here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altaglass-Medicine-Hat-Milk-Glass-Mod-Flub-Pulled-Bowl-Ashtray-5-1-2-X-2-7-8-/164260160653 in white. It looks the same, has the same dimensions, has the circle in the bottom on the inside, and looks to have the same large ground base.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2020, 10:57:02 AM »
Any chance someone could have a look at the labeled Altaglass example on eBay that I linked to, and so confirm Altaglass. The eBay listing has now ended and so the photos will soon disappear which will be a shame. Link for ended eBay item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altaglass-Medicine-Hat-Milk-Glass-Mod-Flub-Pulled-Bowl-Ashtray-5-1-2-X-2-7-8-/164260160653?nma=true&si=rji8SxAZt50B3PvXRvrtWpHLvoI%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It would be useful for future reference if someone else could confirm they are from Altaglass. The label is quite worn but looks like it’s been there forever, it can be compared to this label https://chataboutdg.com/gallery/details.php?image_id=20851 . You can see the layout is different but the text and font of “Altaglass” is identical.

Apart from the overall shape and size, the key features of the bowls that are the same are the large ground base and impressed circle in the centre of the inside.

For future reference, the seller gave the dimensions as 5-1/2” by 2-7/8” (so only 1/8” different on diameter, same height as the op’s). They also call it a “Mod Flub” pulled bowl. Have no idea what “Mod Flub” is, but might be useful in future searches.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
Very difficult to see that label at all.
Looking at the Chatabout label it says 'Hand Made by Altaglass ' Then 'MEDICINE HAT ALTA' then Walsall England.

Yes I think the linked one on ebay does say Altaglass but is a different label.

Here is a link to some very interesting information on Altaglass:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,834.msg47773.html#msg47773

There is a link with Nazeing (John Furch at Altaglass worked at Nazeing before moving to Canada) and also Walsall although it seems the Walsall link on the label is not yet known.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 05:32:45 PM »
Hi, thanks for looking. Yes, the label is quite worn and on its side but the font of Altaglass, especially the ‘Alt’, is quite distinctive. I’ve been looking to find a better example of the white eBay bowl label without too much success but found this Altaglass Guide for Collectors by Mary Coward that has sold on eBay (sorry about size of link):
 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/n38-Altaglass-art-glass-Medicine-Hat-reference-guide-by-Mary-Coward-/124369359657?hash=item1cf4fdd329%3Ag%3AYw4AAOSw31pffTK1&nma=true&si=jowNTI%252FprOXaJSh%252Bw4HwJFBOBFg%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This is the book mentioned by Frank in your link regarding the Naseing/Walsall connection (thanks for that). Luckily, in the eBay listing there are some good photographs from inside the book. The seller’s third photograph shows that there are four types of Altaglass stickers. The one on the white eBay bowl was round and is the first type from the 1950s, shown at the top of the page. The diamond type is the next format followed by maple leaf shaped stickers. You can see the label on the white eBay bowl is the exact same format as the round label in the book. Also, on the page “Making the Glass” she says they made clear, transparent, and “milk” glass.

She doesn’t seem to make any connection with Nazeing or glass making in the U.K., just that the labels were printed in the U.K. On the page ‘The Story Of Altaglass”, there is no mention of any U.K. connection.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 05:49:28 PM »
Found the round label on this swan too. https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/Alta-Glass-Art-Glass-Swan-England_AD493A553E/

These swans look to be made using the op’s bowl as the base, one lobe pulled further to make the tail and a neck added to the opposite side on top of a lobe. There are quite a few of these on line and can be seen on the fourth page of Mary Coward’s book (fourth photograph in the eBay listing in previous reply).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 10:50:18 PM »
Hard to know where to put links on threads but on this thread I mentioned that John Furch Altaglas had a connection with Nazeing.
I can't remember the details and haven't re-read but:

Vera has posted on another thread and has posted a link to her research on her family and in that document John Furch is mentioned  on pages 4, 12 and 19
along with details on Altaglas:

FÜRCH Johann

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uV4jE4AoKUg6r7PL4fjF2mbI_I3HlOtt/view?fbclid=IwAR31jdsuS9ezaE-PnSCXRUgSkB33fBkVbZo75fENMMdyIXMlqEs2Z2-ZOhI

A link to Vera's post on another thread on GMB here:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1464.msg394247.html#msg394247

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand