No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peachblow from Stourbridge?  (Read 691 times)

Offline uphoosier

• Members
Peachblow from Stourbridge?
« on: August 21, 2010, 03:57:42 PM »
I think this jug might be from Stourbridge.  Can anyone confirm this, and suggest a maker?  It is case white interior.  The pontil is ground out and polished.  Thanks for looking.

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13319
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13318
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-13317

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Peachblow from Stourbridge?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
It could be Stourbridge but didn't peachblow come from the States,Mount Washington I think,not much help am I? :pb:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 02:06:59 AM »
Most American glass companies made only a single layer glass peachblow.  Hobbs and Wheeling made cased, but the color was much different.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:03:05 AM »
See the Glass Encyclopedia article on Peachblow Glass for a brief description and some photos of different "peachblow" glass.

Also a search of the Board will show a few threads where "peachblow" has been discussed and where comments have been made about many items of "shaded pink" misdescribed as "peachblow".

I'm not going to commit myself on this one but I'd consider betting against it being peachblow (collector term or maker's marketing term). Yes, it could be English, but neither the colour nor the rim finishing seem to be shown in the very good book, Victorian Decorative Glass by Mervyn Gulliver. And the overall shape of the handle, although the lower section is very much like a number of examples on probably Stourbridge items, is also not shown by Gulliver. So ...? What does that mean? Well, I'm not sure, really!
KevinH

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 05:01:14 AM »
The article in the URL can be a bit difficult to  interpret regarding US manufacturers depending on how one reads it.  The statement regarding Libbey's New England peachblow is a bit jumbled. Libbey was the Administrator of the New England Glass Company which made peachblow in 1886, the formula was developed by Joseph Locke of NEGC. When NEGC went out of business in 1888 the NEGC  formulas went with Libbey & when Libbey opened his company in Toledo, Ohio they produced peachblow. Close to the same situation existed with Mt. Washington/Pairpoint since Mt. Washington started making peachblow in 1885 to 1888 & when Pairpoint bought Mt. Washington in 1894 production of peachblow was brought back until 1937. The statement "one recent reissue (Gunderson Pairpoint) should read Bryden Pairpoint who reissued peachblow from the early 1970's while Gunderson Pairpoint peachblow dates earlier until 1957. I suspect the article was written to refer to "original" manufacturers due to collector interests since it leaves out Imperial Glass & Fenton.    

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 05:23:56 AM »
Keith technically speaking its a bit of a crap shoot. 

Webb's records list a peach & a peach mat glass available 11/11/1885 while Hobb's listed their Coral (AKA Wheeling Peachblow) in 11/26/1885 to be available 1/1/1886. To make matters more muddled both Mt. Washington & the New England Glass Co. applied for patents in late 1885, NEGC granted 3/2/1886 for wild rose & Mt. Washington secured a patent for the name peachblow on 7/20/1886 so I'm not certain that the honor goes to a US company...thats why I say a crap shoot. Ken     

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 04:44:46 PM »
What fun we have,there must be 30 pieces next to my computer that,as yet,have no attribution ::) definite crap shoot as you say!

Offline uphoosier

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 10:41:31 PM »
What fun, indeed.  I was trying to get an ID from a friend that has the Kralik inkwell I posted last week.  I was hoping to get a discount on the inkwell if I could ID the jug.  Thanks to all for the comments.
Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand