No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Etch mark on base: woman with globe and star?  (Read 612 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Etch mark on base: woman with globe and star?
« on: August 21, 2010, 04:45:26 PM »
A deco style cut vase has been offered on Marktplaats that caught my eye, because of a base wide etch mark of a woman in front of a globe, releasing a star. You can see the mark in the third picture on this link:

http://link.marktplaats.nl/370694798

Don't know how long the link will stay up as it's for sale, so if it's a well known mark, I would appreciate anyone posting a similar picture in the thread to keep the info alive.

It's such a beautiful etch mark, I simply have to know which factory used it, just in case I see it again. The seller seems to think it's Bohemian.

From the vase itself - I think it could be art deco pre war, or it could be 50s or 60s German or Czech. That colour was used by Moser and ZBS, bu I've never seen a ZBS vase with that sort of etch mark.  I did check my Moser book to see if they had ever used this mark, but it wasn't listed as one of theirs.

Does anyone know more about it? I'm not sure myself if I want to bid on it - it's rather small and I also try to stay away from pre-war glass (which it could be).

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Etch mark on base: woman with globe and star?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 05:40:08 PM »
Astrid  -  you appear to have picked a difficult one. :)    I've had a look through most of the GMB resource marks, and my own few books - but don't see this one.    This needs someone with a special book - the name of which I have forgotten.   Hope someone else will be able to help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:48:51 PM »
I think it is a company logo - not a maker's mark.  Mine has no markings and is either ZBS or Moser.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
Thanks Ivo, I was also thinking of those two. ZBS with a non-Klinger designer would be my first guess, the colour looks very similar to a piece I offered earlier, also a cut piece in very light yellow that Jindrich said was ZBS. 

I was thinking, is it just possible that this is some sort of exhibition mark? If I recall correctly, Czech glass was exhibited for instance at the Brussels Expo of 1958. A big mark like that could mark a special event or occasion - certainly with a globe in the background. But I could be way off, of course, I've no experience of such pieces.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »
Astrid:

There were special labels for Exhibition pieces, I believe, especially winners, but I've never heard of special markings on the bottom. I think Ivo's suggestion is more likely. I have a 'Pizzicato' ashtray with an engraving from the Bohemian Hop Company on the base.

David 
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 11:38:51 AM »
I'm not sure of the relevance to these companies, but I do know of things made with other company marks incorporated - just as an example, Wedgewood made ceramic plates with the name and address of James Powell + Whitlefriars (in glaze) on the base.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand