No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear vase with swirled bubbles - ID = probably Theresienthal  (Read 1017 times)

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Clear vase with swirled bubbles - ID = probably Theresienthal
« on: August 25, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »
I don't want to fall into the trap of automatically assuming anything and everything with swirled bubbles is from the Schott Zwiesel factory, so I do want to ask for confirmation or second opinions. This one was sold as by Pavel Hlava, but I haven't seen any work of his remotely close to this, so I automatically assumed that to be untrue (and bid accordingly, so no pain there).

It's 18.5 cm high, 9 cm across at the top and bottom. It has a polished pontil mark, and enough wear to make me suppose it's a few decades old.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline dirk.

• Members
Re: Clear vase with swirled bubbles
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 03:48:58 PM »
Hi Astrid,
I´m sure it´s german, but I´m not 100% sure about the producer.
I´m sure it wasn´t Schott / Zwiesel, but who...?
dum dum di dum...
Maybe Spiegelau or even Theresienthal?   :-\
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 03:56:48 PM »
Check for a vague P on the bottom.... or on the lower side.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 04:04:21 PM »
A double looped P - back to back, like a lollipop, near the base, possibly on the side of the foot. It can be hard to find - small mark, engraved.
I think Ivo and I are thinking alike...... I'm chuffed - I don't know if Ivo will be or not! :kissy:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »
I have a number of Peill & Putzler vases, and so far always managed to find the etch mark, but I can't find one on this vase after checking the bottom and the surface very carefully.

From what I've read in 20th Century Factory Glass, the Peill double P etch mark was used from 1970 onwards, and swirling bubble vases were produced before that time, so perhaps unmarked - that is, if the book is correct on this.

I totally agree that Germany is the place to look - but is there a experience with similar Peill vases to specifically point there? I've tried to find something similar, but I don't think it fits the schleiergraphite range, and I haven't been able to find examples from the swirled bubble vases from Peill.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:43:53 AM »
Astrid:

I'm not sure exactly how similar this piece is. If I'm right in seeing some gold colour in yours, then the similarity is reasonably strong. Mine is by Tuselman and has the Peil and Putzler etch mark. Ivo has the etch mark starting ca 1960.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 09:44:36 AM »
I'm not seeing any colours in the piece in question. I did think the bubbles looked very like the shleiergraphit bubbles, just no "graphit" bit!
I've got a big bowl with the bronzey bubbled bit like your vase - it's inscribed "Unikat" as well as the P&P mark. It's not Shleiergraphit.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
The colour of the vase is entirely clear, no golden undertone - except that in two bubbles I can see a hint of bit of black debris. Well, apparently then Peill was doing bubbles at some point, but I suspect a great many other glashütte in Germany did them as well. Without a similar marked one to compare, I'll prudently put it down as German for now, possibly Peill, and hope someone comes across a more clearly marked example.

But this reminds me that I ought to give you all two more bubbly vases to scrutinize... One I bought as Schott Zwiesel and didn't start to question the attribution until now, and one I bought as Skrdlovice and didn't know whether to believe...

Astrid

Offline astrid

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 02:42:46 PM »
Maybe Spiegelau or even Theresienthal?   :-\

It seems that Dirk was on the money here - I just found a very similar one on ebay from a seller who attributes it to Theresienthal, claiming he has seen one with a clear label in the past. That's good enough for me - thanks everyone!

Astrid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand