No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Please Help ID a Syrup Pitcher with Pewter? Lid marked C&W Pat Jul. 16. 72  (Read 1837 times)

Offline honeybeee

• Members
Vintage syrup pitcher/dispenser and I am looking to see if anyone recognizes the pattern and/or manufacturer

Marked C&W Pat Jul.16.72, but that's marked on the lid and my just be the maker of the pewter... possibly?

Body of glass has mold marks and handle looks like it was blown & attached.

That's about all I know about this piece.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

Honey

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Hello Honey  -  Fairly certain I'm going in the wrong direction, but will just ask the question anyway.   I take it that the pewter mark really does have the '&' in the middle - and reason for asking is (as you may know) there is the Mark CW for Colonial Williamsburg, who were/are big in Pewter design for table ware pieces (am I correct in thinking you are in the States).    I am thinking that the glass body is mould blown - although with my very limited experience I don't think that you would use the same description for the handle.     You need an expert to advise you. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Hello

The patent was for the metal lid - see http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=94RBAAAAEBAJ&dq=jug+%22july+16,+1872%22.  This patent was held by Homer Wright who assigned 2/3 of his rights to Benjamin Collins and Henry Collins.  All of whom were partners in Collins & Wright of Pittsburgh, PA.  Among other things, this company made metal trimmings for glass tableware.  Ref:  History of Pittsburgh and environs, Volume 1, p220.

I don't know who made the glass pitcher.  The body is mould blown and the handle was applied by hand.

Sid

Offline jsmeasell

• Author
  • Members
Good work on the patent, Sid. This is a pretty typical plain "molasses can" of the 1870-1880s and could have been made by many of the Pittsburgh-area tableware factories or plants in other cities such as Wheeling. The handle is solid glass, so it is gathered and applied by a skilled finisher: stick the bottom first, draw it out a bit and cut off; stick the top; then use a carbon rod to bring the handle to its final shape. I would like to see down inside the metal cover, but I suspect the handle was applied while the body was still on the blowpipe. Otherwise, you would have to have a snap to hold the piece by the top or the bottom.
James Measell, Historian
Fenton Art Glass Co.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
Re: Please Help ID a Syrup Pitcher with Pewter? Lid marked C&W Pat Jul. 16. 72
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:24:53 AM »
Jim

Thanks for the kind words.  I enjoyed the hour I put into that search because I learned a few things myself that will be useful in the future.

Wonder what happened to the orginal poster?

Sid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand