No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Hand, signed and numbered - ID = Langkawii Crystaal  (Read 4560 times)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
Glass Hand, signed and numbered - ID = Langkawii Crystaal
« on: August 29, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
This unusual piece i know nothing about, I cannot fathom the signature (pic2) and it has a large etched number that I think is as follows 1288GB UQV-0002418 C2AHID? It measures 20cm tall.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Glass Hand, signed and numbered but no idea
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:24:21 PM »
I think that the signature reads "Langham Crystal".  A most unusual but interesting piece.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
I think that the signature reads "Langham Crystal".  A most unusual but interesting piece.

Ross

Thank you, I can see Langham Crystal now you have pointed it out for me. It is very unusual, not somwthing that I would have thought was mass produced but could be wrong. I have written to the company to see if they can give me any further information about the vase. I will report back should I hear anything more. Thanks again.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:50:12 AM »
I have (somewhere) an exquisite fox paperweight that they produced a few years back.  Very flowing lines and very full of character, so the maker does not surprise me as much as I thought it would.  Your piece is considerably larger than my fox.

Ross

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 09:07:36 AM »
A little bit hard to find but look here for 'Hand Casting'  8)

http://www.langhamglass.co.uk/location.php
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:41:41 AM »
I have (somewhere) an exquisite fox paperweight that they produced a few years back.  Very flowing lines and very full of character, so the maker does not surprise me as much as I thought it would.  Your piece is considerably larger than my fox.

Ross

I have recieved a reply from Langham glass today and it is not one of their pieces, they do not mark with Langham "Crystal", only "Langham Glass" and they do not number their pieces.

So, I will have to think again and do some more research on this piece.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Looking at their website it is clear that although they trade as Langham Glass they do lots with crystal (see http://www.langhamglass.co.uk/lang_hist.php ).  I wonder if what you think is a series of numbers is in fact a name and the date a casting was made (wild guess!!!!!).  Perhaps you could take photos of the numbers for us to look at - you did an excellent job of the Langham Crystal bit.

Ross

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 02:36:54 PM »
Looking at their website it is clear that although they trade as Langham Glass they do lots with crystal (see http://www.langhamglass.co.uk/lang_hist.php ).  I wonder if what you think is a series of numbers is in fact a name and the date a casting was made (wild guess!!!!!).  Perhaps you could take photos of the numbers for us to look at - you did an excellent job of the Langham Crystal bit.

Ross

Here are the long sets of numbers.

Offline heartofsklo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 04:36:20 PM »
On looking at the base again, I do not think that it actually states what we first thought and now feel that the piece is glass and not crystal.

On very close inspection and with the assistance of family members for extra eyes, it appears to read more like a signature as opposed to a company name.

To give possibly some extra oomph to the ID, the piece came from a private collector originally who also had Venini pieces, could this be a special that was made by Venini for its original owner or a one off special? I belive it to be a maker of note due to the amount of numbers etched into the base.

I have added two more images below that show the signature/company much better than the originals posted.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »
Looks like a Germanic type name to me

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum