No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Cut & engraved goblet - French?  (Read 844 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Cut & engraved goblet - French?
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:29:32 PM »
I bought this cut & engraved goblet yesterday, described as "Possibly French, 20th century".  It's quite sharply cut, with 'notches' all down the knop and stem, and a star-cut foot.  It stands 9.75 inches (24.5cm) tall and is 4 inches (10cm) across the top.   Does anyone recognise the pattern?   Thank you.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: Cut & engraved goblet - French?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »
Can I please 'bump' this?  Thanks. 
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 10:45:09 AM »
oh, crikey, I don't half struggle with cut stuff!
(to my non-flowery eyes, everything flowery just looks the same...... fancy-flowery :spls: )
I was having a peek at claretjugcollector's champagne glasses, because I thought they looked a bit like this, but having checked, they're not.
However, there's been talk of Tudor, for which I have always harboured a small affection, because I have a set of (post-war) wine glasses which belonged to my Grandpa. There is cross-hatching on the centres of the flowers in your piece and in my glasses - but the flowers on my glasses are thistles - there's a strong liklihood that this is just the way thistles are depicted, rather than it being any sort of "feature" typical of any maker.

Your glass is pretty tall - is it a wine glass? or something completely different?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »
Sue - hope you won't mind if I enlarge a little on your reference to 'Tudor' - as it is possible that there may be people other than me who do not understand fully your comment :).       'Tudor' (in a fairly heavy Gothic script) was registered as a trade name in 1927 by The Stourbridge Glass Company Ltd., (User Claimed from 20th May 1924).   This mark was revised for use during the 1930's, apparently, to  'MADE IN/TUDOR/ENGLAND' (acid marked in three lines), and with the word Tudor a little less Gothic - as per the attached pic.    I don't have anything marked simply 'TUDOR' unfortunately.
Reference:  British Glass between the wars - Editor Roger Dodsworth - 1987.

Offline Ming

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 12:53:11 AM »
I have a wine glass by Jack Lloyd of Tudor which has the pre-war company marking. Bowl was signed by J.Lloyd.
Never walk away from a bargain

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:23:36 AM »
Very nice!  :D  Definitely no marks or sig on mine, I'm afraid  :-\   I have bought and am collecting at the weekend a Tudor bowl engraved (and signed!) by Jack Lloyd.  The goblet is very nice, but I don't think it's quite the same quality.  I have no idea why the seller identified it as "Possibly French"!  Does anyone else know what might lead them to that conclusion?  Or could anyone suggest a possible French maker?   

Thanks to everyone for comments (even Sue, who doesn't like 'fancy-flowery' :kissy: )  :)
Leni

Offline claretjugcollector

• Members
  • The spoilt rotten Claret Jug Collector ...
    • www.karaffensammler.at
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:09:19 PM »
to me it looks french - 1, because of the star cut burst

2, because of the rips on the stem ...  :-[
...Man made electric light to take us out of the dark
Man made the boat for the water, like Noah made the ark
.... James B.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia