No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID Help: Possible Val St. Lambert Vase or just a VSL wanna-be? ID = VSL  (Read 2353 times)

Offline cypher

• Members
I was at an Estate Sale early this morning and was able to pick this up for $6.  I wasn't quick enough and 2 other pieces almost identical to this were snatched up before I could reach for them.  The other 2 pieces were signed Val St. Lambert I found out after speaking with the individuals who purchased the other 2.  This piece that I was able to grab before anyone else is not signed.  I am a bit in an unknown territory when it comes to VSL but I have seen similar pieces to this one and am curious about it.  Any ideas? Measurements are 10-1/2" Tall x 8-1/2" width of the top x 3" width of the base and weighs close to around 10 pounds.  Thanks  :)

Jake

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: ID Help: Possible Val St. Lambert Vase or just a VSL wanna-be?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 05:39:25 AM »
VSL would certainly be my first guess. I see quite a bit come up for sale on our local auction site, as I live close to Belgium. This shape and colour looks like the sort of glass they made in the 50s - 70s. If it had had a more twisted look, I would have been almost certain.

But I can't make a really positive ID since I don't have any source material to back me up. It pays to keep looking though and searching for VSL, because much of their work was labeled, and you might just see a similar one with a label turn up on internet. Good luck!

And of course $6 is always a bargain for a large vase like that in good condition...

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline GlassIsGood

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 09:54:47 AM »
It's gorgeous!!  We have a dish like object here in very similar colours and I like that too.

Offline cubby01

• Members
    • central USA
    • VintagePursuits
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
Look hard, Althogh I've read that not all VSL is signed it usually is. 

'tis pretty.
Pithy sig withheld

Site in progress: http://www.vintagepursuits.com/

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 05:38:50 PM »
Look hard, Althogh I've read that not all VSL is signed it usually is. 

I know it's a little late to add anything on this subject,  but just for future reference, officially items made by VSL didn't have to be signed before 1970. After that it was custom to sign each piece that left the factory. it is not known why they decided to do this so late in the factory's history, but anyway, got this from the horse's mouth.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 01:32:17 PM »
VSL Lorient in 1951 catalogue

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand