No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian/czech or what  (Read 2076 times)

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
Italian/czech or what
« on: September 25, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
There is a vase on ebay no 150495249527 i have the same but a bit bigger it has clear flanges down the side and flat polished base , i have owned it for about 25 years this is the only other one i have seen in that time , can anyone help with ID . The seller says Italian hmmm not so sure .tia JP

Offline dinklepip

• Members
Re: Italian/czech or what
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 11:29:44 AM »
I would say seller is correct, I have sold a few of these and the ones with a uranium content always seem to sell higher.  think it's 1950's by Seguso Vetri 'd Art under the direction of Flavio Poli.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 04:49:36 PM »
I get where you're coming from JP.  Colourwise it feels Italian...but the shape doesn't so much.  Are those 'flange' (gotta love that word) bits on the side solid uranium glass do you think?  I think if it wasn't that particular colour red, I'd be moved more towards Czech.

Dinkle, were the ones you sold exactly the same?  And do you have a source for that suggestion?  It all helps!   :hiclp:
I am not a man

Offline dinklepip

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 04:57:32 PM »
Hi Max, just from various websites

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 06:04:36 PM »
Tell you what i will bring it to Cambridge , must look for it now .

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 07:13:59 PM »
The vase in question is a line produced by Galliano Ferro, and in a color combo also used by them.  They made the shapes with 2, 3 and 4 fins protruding from the body.  I own examples of 3 similar pieces, one of which has an original GF label still intact.  The three are in this group image. My shortest one is a 4 finned (flange for Max  ;D ) example.

The GF label can be seen at the base of the example farthest to the right in the pic. That piece also has the same internal form as the example in this post, although the fins appear to be larger and mine only has two.

I would add that when I bought the first one, the short one, I also considered the possibility of it being an Exbor piece based on some Exbor I have owned and seen.

Pics attached.

Craig
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 07:39:38 PM »
Thanks Folk, Craig who told you your wife or your mistress ? :ooh:  My vase doesnt curve in at the bottom it finishes flat all the way across including the FLANGES . :ooh:

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 07:55:52 PM »
My wife told me...........   >:D

All of my examples are flat bottomed and polished.... The shape of the fins is a little different on each example, and likely just varied with artistic preference for the individual making the piece.....  They are great vases, and one of my favorites. On all of mine, the fins (flanges for Max  ;D)  are Uranium glass and glow like crazy.  That just happens to be a requirement to be placed with the group in the first pic.....  Red/Orange color with a brightly glowing Uranium glass content also.....  Likely my favorite grouping of glass in the house, and the one that gets more compliments from guests than any other thing in the house......

Michelle was kind enough to put one of mine on ebay, allowing me the opportunity to add a great example to the group. (the far left example of the GF pieces) Three flanges, Raspberry interior, and the nicest of the 3 GF pieces....

Craig

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 02:38:04 PM »
Would you believe it there is a good picture of one on ebay  no 350400302494 except mine is ruby and clear , what does our Max think ?  i showed it to her at Cambridge . jp

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 03:01:34 PM »
I would say different companies....  The original piece posted I still believe to be a Galliano Ferro example, If yours is just like the new piece in green, except in a different color, then I would say not GF.....

Craig

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand