No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: is this a bulb vase please.  (Read 438 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
is this a bulb vase please.
« on: September 28, 2010, 07:25:37 PM »
I'm a big fan of 'poison/Bristol blue', so couldn't resist this piece.  It has a 'pan top', which although not as deep at the usual 'bulb' top, would probably still hold a bulb.    However, factors against it being a bulb vase are, the body narrowing goes the opposite way to usual  -  the 'pan' is a tad shallow - there is the remains of gilding on the ground/bevelled and polished rim.    So, maybe not a bulb vase - but still a stunning blue, and perhaps the top is simply a decorative shape.    Comparing this with some of my other similar pieces, I would hazard a guess that this one is second half C19 ish, judging by the wear and style.  The base is flat and as from the mould (mould blown - yes?)   Height is 10 inches/258mm.    Anyone have any thoughts, and thanks for looking. :) 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Re: is this a bulb vase please.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:06:28 PM »
The "rule of thumb" is, if you can fit three fingers in the opening it is a bulb vase.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:22:59 AM »
It isn't a classic hyacinth vase shape but the cup at the top looks suitable to hold a bulb and there's enough room for the roots. I think it might be rather top-heavy to work as a bulb vase with the smaller base. If I had it I'd still give it a try!
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »
thanks to both of you  -  and I think there could be a problem with over-balancing if you tried a heavy hyacinth bulb - so think I will just admire it for the colour. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand