No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Another Weight To ID.  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Hourglass

• Members
Another Weight To ID.
« on: October 09, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
This is my latest purchase. A 3" weight of green Victorian coloured glass with yellow 'flower'. The pontil is interesting being a snapped sunken pontil with a small hole protruding up into the weight a little way and a couple of small 'rust' marks which could be metal flakes left from the rod. By the colour of the glass and the look of the pontil I'm hoping it may have quite a bit of age. The surface has a few 'orange peel' tiny depressions in it if you look carefully across the weight but not noticeable in the pictures and you have to look at it hard to see them when handling it. Any thoughts?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Another Weight To ID.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 03:11:31 PM »

Hi hourglass

I can quite understand why you think it might be Victorian, but it was made in the 1960s at Pilkingtons, St Helens, by Czech glass workers. You see quite a few about (including a couple I put into Gorringes auction recently...).  They occur with smaller flowers too, and occasionally names in yellow or orange rod, and I have seen simple outline butterflies - but they always seem to have this rather blue-green glass, and the very characteristic yellow flowers.  The style is old, but the weights are not!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Hourglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:44 PM »
Thank you Alan. I am not under any illusion that it was Victorian, it was just the best way I thought of describing the colour of the glass. Nice to be able to authenticate it and you have just added a little more knowledge to my 'database' as I'm keen to learn especially on un-marked pieces that have been studio and glass-works produced instead of the mass produced non entities that are not really on my collecting remit.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 05:04:53 PM »
but they always seem to have this rather blue-green glass,

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. When I bought the ones here there was a damaged one similar to the yellow flower that I didn't buy. Because of where I live, I'm pretty sure they're from Pilkingtons too. (if you find any more give me a poke, I might be interested)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand