No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Murano or Chinese ?  (Read 1271 times)

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Murano or Chinese ?
« on: October 17, 2010, 10:30:55 AM »

I have seen more than one person selling these paperweights as Murano (this seller guarantees it!). But I have also seen very, very similar weights for sale on Chinese manufacturers websites - and the centre cane in particular looks Chinese.  See this paperweight for instance - the seller even calls it 'Murano' and says

murano glass paperweight
Bright colors, fashionable styles will be another of your desk is full ofvitality,and environmentally friendly material allows you to rest assured that the use of.
Consummate skill and good quality access to customers of all ages are welcome to order!
We can accept the different requirements of customers

I suppose it could have come via Murano (provided you order 480 at a go)? What does anyone else think?

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
Re: Murano or Chinese ?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 11:17:35 AM »
Have a small weight with a very similar flower to the first one in your post,it did have a 'made in China' sticker but I washed  ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 12:45:09 PM »
The flower looks like the ones found in Heart Foundation PWs.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 03:52:48 PM »
Well - I'm not an expert on Murano glass, nor Chinese weights - so possibly I should not speak up >:D. If I were forced to bet, however, I would put my money on Chinese.

Now - has anyone contacted the seller already - and got any reaction? Looking through the shop just quickly, there are many high quality paperweights and no (other) blatant misidentification jumped at me.
I had been in contact with the seller previously about some incorrect info on a Caithness weight: (s)he modified the description immediately (the main identification, Caithness, had been correct). The explanation was that information given to her/him had been forwarded. Might be the case here as well: after all - these weights are sold by their Chinese makers as "Murano Glass". Seller should be a bit more cautious, however, about "guaranteeing" Murano ::).
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand