No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quite masculine Art-Deco style vase  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Quite masculine Art-Deco style vase
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
Hello,

I need some help identifying this attractive Art-Deco style vase.  I believe I've seen it somewhere before, but now have no idea where.  It's 180mm high and 85mm wide at the top.  The base is completely flat with significant wear.  I don't quite know how to describe the colour -- it's something between a pinkish / light orange / amber shade.  It's rather heavy, weighing almost 1kg.

Thank you.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: Quite masculine Art-Deco style vase
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
 :hi: Anik
Colour and base look Inwald - Rudolfova - ish, however, no proof

Scandinavia perhaps ? ?  :ooh:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:01 PM »
beautiful vase Anik :)   Is it possible please, for somone to explain to an ignoramous like me, the reasoning behind the completely flat ground base.   This vase is presumably mould blown (perhaps mechanically), and the plunger perhaps comes down and creates the top more or less as we see it (or is there a little fire polishing at the point?).    Is the base ground flat simply so that it sits evenly on a flat surface.    Usually, a mould blown piece would not need its bottom further treated after leaving the mould  -  and are the mould seams also fire polished out?     Sorry I am ignorant of these technicalities, hope someone has the patience to go slowly with me ;)   Thanks.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 09:58:58 PM »
beautiful vase Anik :)   Is it possible please, for somone to explain to an ignoramous like me, the reasoning behind the completely flat ground base. This vase is presumably mould blown (perhaps mechanically), and the plunger perhaps comes down and creates the top more or less as we see it (or is there a little fire polishing at the point?).  

The vase has been press-moulded, then stuck up to fire polish the rim & mould seams & also to flange the rim slightly. Fire polishing also gives the vase the nice smooth and shiny finish, rather than the slightly rough/ matt finish from the mould. If  done using a punty then the base will have been left rough & hence had to be ground. A lot of pressed glass has a footrim which stands proud, hence only this rim, not the whole base would need grinding, however completely flat bases such as this are not unknown - as Pamela mentioned Inwald made some pieces with this style of base. The fact that the base has then been finely polished, not just ground flat is a nice touch and suggests quality.

Adam D. gave a wonderful account of melting/ fire polishing at Sowerby's which can be found here: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,579.0.html

Steven

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 12:38:39 AM »
 :hi: :hiclp: Very nice Vase Anik -- and I see you and me are finding these Masculine Vases....

:24: Your masculine vase can get together with the smokey vase of mine that you called Masculine too. 
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34764.0.html

see quote from that link:
from Anik from older, previous post:  Rose, it's a beautiful vase -- quite masculine, sensual... I wonder where it was made?  Is it Scandinavian? Czech?  Italian?  Wish so much I was more knowledgable

I have no idea about your vase -- just I am just guessing ?? 1950/60-ish ??  and if I were to guess (whoops, I am guessing.....lol) I would think something Czech................I dunno, but nice  :thup:
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 03:54:46 AM »
Pamela, thank you for the leads.  :kissy:  I would be highly pleased if the vase turned out to be Inwald -- now if we could only find the proof :usd:.  Paul and Steven, my sincerest thanks to the both of you for the questions (which I wouldn't have known how to ask myself) and clear, detailed answer.  I'm all the wiser now.  I do believe the vase has got quality to it.

Anik

P.S. Rose, I do have a thing for what I call 'masculine' pieces -- I don't like dainty, delicate, flowery glass. 

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 04:33:39 AM »

P.S. Rose, I do have a thing for what I call 'masculine' pieces -- I don't like dainty, delicate, flowery glass. 

:thup:    I am too clumsy here  ;D  lol
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 06:44:49 AM »
If it's Inwald it's much more likely that its 1930s than 1960s; press moulding became much more automated post War and less manual finishing was required. Base finishing (ground or as moulded) can help (note the can help) to put European pressed glass in the right half of the 20th century, though it doesn't work so well for US pressed glass.

If you look around you can find examples of the exactly same design but with different foot rims. Davidson blackberry is a prime example; you can find them with ground and as moulded foot rims because they were made in different ways.

Here's a Val St Lambert example.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 09:37:49 AM »
Steven - sincere thanks for your prompt reply to my question - very much appreciated - also for the link to Adam D's article which I shall read a little later with my coffee. :)
thanks Christine for the help re dating. :)

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2010, 08:44:56 PM »
I found this creamer which looks to be by the same maker as my vase -- http://allegro.pl/antyczek-lososiowy-wielokatny-mlecznik-art-deco-i1315404812.html -- does it look familiar to anyone?  I'm still hoping for an ID.

Thank you  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand