No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Erik Hoglund? and if not then who can it possibly be?  (Read 2028 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Erik Hoglund? and if not then who can it possibly be?
« on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:32 PM »
I have exhausted all my searches on this one.  Either the colour or the shape or the finish or the size of the bubbles or the bubble effect is wrong - and I keep coming back to Erik Hoglund.  However it is unsigned.  I do have something to compare it to, but I have also been through what feels like nearly 100 Hoglund pieces and not seen anything in this shape. The purple one below is a signed Erik Hoglund.
Can anyone help confirm or deny please?  It feels weight for weight the same as my other piece, the pontil mark is the same, the bubble effect is practically identical (and I haven't found a single other piece from another maker where I could honestly say that) and the colour is I think, one of his range.  Although not as dark as the brown amber he uses, I have seen a few pieces in this colour. It is 17cm tall by 12cm wide and 8cm deep, with the front and back dimpled in towards the middle.  It is smooth on the outside and on the inside you can feel the bubbles.  This is the same with my purple one.
Help very much appreciated
 :)
thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Erik Hoglund? and if not then who can it possibly be?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:03:27 PM »
Probably not Boda then, there are other candidates, Biot in France, then there is Poland and....

That Boda lilac is lovely though isn't it. :mrgreen:

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »
  :sun: yep the lilac one is gorgeous - it's my favourite shape as well - I narrowly missed another one recently which was a different shape in the same colour, someone nabbed it before me and I could have cried. 
Well I have been through what feels like the entire candidate list for Scandinavia (and found some fabulous glass along the way as you do  ;D) , all my books as well, and Biot  and a company called Tag Ltd Crystal - and I think Biot is usually marked somewhere.  I definitely don't think it is recent recycled glass....Poland?  well I shall take a look now.  Thanks John  :) 
Has it been  established  that Hoglund pieces were always signed?  I know Bill Geary mentioned that in a previous post but both Pip and Ivo have said they've had pieces which were unmarked.
The only thing that is confusing me  is the design.  I thought he had done a decanter dimpled front and back (mmm, could be wrong on that but thought I had seen one? :-\ ) so dimpled form is not unknown if that is the case. 
thanks again
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:01:36 PM »
Not every piece was signed, the little 'bowls' usually are not marked: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ErikHoglund#5469374817245812962

Some Hoglund Boda items I have are signed H followed by a number. Some are signed Boda H number and one is signed Boda H number Hoglund. The lower the number the earlier the design.

This is the only lilac bit I have but it has come up a bit blue in this photo: http://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/ErikHoglund#5526930825535308018

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 10:56:17 PM »
nice! the one I missed was like that  :cry:
so it seems the larger pieces were signed then?  In which case this probably isn't one of his - and if it isn't it is a jolly good match  :o  I'm more than happy to have it in my collection.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
I know Bill Geary mentioned that in a previous post but both Pip and Ivo have said they've had pieces which were unmarked.
The only thing that is confusing me  is the design.  I thought he had done a decanter dimpled front and back (mmm, could be wrong on that but thought I had seen one? :-\ ) so dimpled form is not unknown if that is the case. 
thanks again
m

I think you may be mistaking me with someone else - I'm fairly certain all my Hoglund pieces were signed.  Of course that doesn't mean he did sign everything (I'm not sure on that point) however my pieces definitely all had markings - sorry.

Re: your carafe - I suspect it's not Biot (France) - just based on a couple of pieces I've handled that my brother bought from Biot on a family holiday excursion during the late 60s/early 70s.  I could be wrong though, it might be later production I don't know but my hunch is no.

Re: dimpled carafe - you might be thinking of the Bjorkshult dimpled carafe by Ronald Stennett Willson maybe?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:35:16 AM »
Oh sorry Pip - I was going by this thread and the comments in it in terms of signed or not?

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,5033.msg106612.html#msg106612

I have checked out Bjorkshult as well so yes I may be confused about that ref the dimpled decanter - thanks.

I will wait to get some hours together and go through the Polish glass sites next. 

m

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 11:21:52 AM »
oops - I'd forgotten all about that bowl!  Yes, you're right, I have had one unsigned piece - sorry :)

Your carafe does look very Hoglund-ish though doesn't it?  And the bubbles are right - I'd not discount EH yet anyway...

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:43:42 PM »
I don't think it is a design by Hoglund, the rim doesn't look 'right'. Nothing to base this on, just a hunch and wild speculation. Sorry to be a party pooper.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:01:16 PM »
Not a party pooper at all John :)  Despite this fitting in very well into my collection ( I love the shape) and the fact that the glass itself is a match for the purple one, I had my reservations because I hadn't been able to find a similar shape. 
I had already researched it well before I bought it - and went ahead and bought it anyway  :rah: So don't worry.  If it did turn out to be his it would be a bonus.  If not, I love it anyway. 
If it turns out to be mass produced Chinese or Eastern European glass then all I can say is 'hat's off' in terms of quality and hope that millions of them don't turn up (because it will be that fact that will devalue it for me to be honest).
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand