No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: possibly Murano so I have been informed  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
possibly Murano so I have been informed
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »
Hello to you all,  I have been spending some time in London and during my visit to a Charity Shop with some friends, came across this weird looking vase with rather a thick red rim. Red and blue I would of thought, not to be a good combination of colours. The price was £4.99.  To our astonishment an argument ensued by staff members over the pricing, however they agreed that they would sell it at the price stated on the label.  We thought it to be very amusing. Due to the sheer wait my friend had to carry it for me.  I have been browsing google and other suggested sites  and can't seem to put my finger on this vase or something similar.   It is  24cm tall.  The middle section of the vase is 19cm wide. The base is flat (Polished), 5cm diameter. The rim of the vase is extremely thick.  I have been told could be Murano but not  entirely convinced. Could anybody convince me that it is and if knowledgeable, tell me who the designer is and roughly the probable year it was made. Thanking you ever so kindly! 
Never a truer word spoken in jest

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
Re: possibly Murano so I have been informed
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:47:36 PM »
Hello again  :hi:  Is there anyone that is able to identify the maker of this vase? I've been told a number of times that it might be Murano, if so, can one of the Moderators please place this in the Murano section. One appreciates your assistance on this matter.  :rah:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:06:26 PM »
Glass is the right place for anything we don't know the source of, once we know it's Murano we'll move it over for more discussion. :thup:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:57:24 PM »
Images of the complete canes would help.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:32:23 PM »
had a look through Pina's 'Fifties Glass', which although not devoted to Murano, does carry a number of the general  colourways, shapes and internal decoration etc., and this shade of blue for the ground colour seems absent from the book.  However, this of course may mean nothing, as doubtless there are a lot more variations available.   Can you see where and how the 'red' is joined to the blue body - how far does the red collar extend into the blue body?    Some year or so back I bought a charity shop piece that looked 'pretty, and believe it or not, part/whole of the body turned out to be covered in a plastic type sleeve - albeit attached very tightly - which looked just like glass. :-[

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 12:19:58 AM »
Hello all,   I have taken some more pictures.  I am not sure if this will help.  The vase is cased and the rim and inside is competely red with black stripes. There is quite a gap between the inner and outer glass of the vase.   Underneath the rim is curved and this part is clear glass, unevenly shaped.  Between the clear curved rim and the start of the red and black pattern, is a fine white line that runs around the end of the red section that is folded over.  There are no visible joins as I have run my nails accross that section.  That indicates to me that the inner and outer glass is fused together during it's moulten state? The blue inner glass has only white speckles all over, but the outer glass, which I think is clear has all the other pattern designs.  I am not sure as to what pictures are required in relation to the canes mentioned.  Can someone help? Your input is certainly appreciated!!  :rah:

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:27:36 AM »
Hi there:
Does your camera have a little flower on it for close-up?  Or try using a magnifying glass in front of the camera for a real close up.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,32515.0.html

Can we have a base shot, very bottom center.  

Try that tip above for the canes, etc.  Worth a try..
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:59:37 AM »
I will try that later today.  Thank you   :rah:

Offline Madam Medusa

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 11:08:18 PM »
Hello all, been extremely busy over the last week or so.  I have added some more pictures to assist with your investigations, hope these are better I have not got the facility on my camera as suggested, but thanx anyway.  :rah:

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:22 PM »
Is there a possibility that your vase could be related to this one??
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/322766804/murano_glass_flower_vase/showimage.html
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand