No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: unusual Mdina shape?  (Read 765 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
unusual Mdina shape?
« on: November 12, 2010, 08:07:52 PM »
According to Mark Hill's book, this signature dates to the late '60s into the '70s, although the colour may well extend beyond that period.   135mm/5.5/16" tall, with the top hole as in the pic., although use isn't obvious to me, and not a shape I can see in either the book or on ebay (at the moment).   After the first half inch into the neck, there is an egg shaped opening about 2.75" in depth.   Suggestions might be a rather over-heavy stem vase or candle holder, but not really sure  -  anyone think I'm might be getting warm.    Thanks for looking :)
Ref.  'Mdina Glass & Isle of Wight Studio Glass'  -  Mark Hill  -  2006.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: unusual Mdina shape?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »
Hi Paul, interesting piece of mdina.  See what you mean about it's function, I see it as just a piece of sculptural art glass rather than having a specific use..... Certainly interesting.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »
thanks  -  and you may well be correct. :)    I'm not very well up on Mdina, but wasn't aware of seeing this shape before, although with my luck it's probably quite a common shape.   Have a feeling the hole must be for something tho.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 07:31:37 PM »
Not a common shape, can't remember seeing this one before. Perhaps one that was not that successful, the rim looks quite crude. The signature is post 1972 (made with a dremmel), may be as late as the early 1980s.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:44 AM »
thanks John - and yes the opening of the 'hole' is quite crude and poorly finished.   I did look thru the whole of the ebay Mdina's and didn't spot this shape - so will put it down as an unknown for the time being. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand