No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mystery drinking object.  (Read 6151 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: mystery drinking object.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »
I've seen the same shape inkwells before on ebay but now that I'm trying to find one none are currently listed. I did see the "tea kettle" inkwells but that's not exactly what I was thinking of.
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 07:25:36 PM »
Do try the USA baby site again Paul,  it is just very slow to load and looks as though you won't get the picture, but after a few seconds they suddenly come up. 

There is a LHS scroll feature to access the collections.....have another go....I have just had a look and it all seems to be working.....use the same link I originally gave.....goood luck!! :X:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »
have just spent some minutes typing the comments below  -  so, whilst I appreciate you have both posted comments very recently, indulge me in letting me not waste my thoughts.   thanks :)
""thanks julie  -  think the spout too narrow to accommodate a pen, and it really is a proper drinking/pouring spout shape.  However, do take your point about the shape and slightly concave top being reminiscent of an inkwell - but the missing handle is a mystery.     Would agree with you that feeders do have handles, normally  -  but I guess there are exceptions to all rules.       The spout lip has now become, with the passing of time, damaged slightly  -  and you really would not want to put your lips on what might be a sharp edge.   Looking carefully, it does appear that originally the spout edges were ground and slightly bevelled.
rosie  -  I'm warming to the idea of dicussing nipples ;) but seriously thanks for the inkwells link - really fascinating when you look at their history.   Perhaps now that Ivo has finished writing about 'cuspidors' he might like to start a volume on inkwells.
When I saw the large ground/polished concave pontil mark, I assumed this might be perhaps even pre 1914 - but maybe not really quite so old.   I'm also wondering if there might originally have been some kind of rubber stopper/valve inserted into the hole after filling with a liquid - thus preventing any spillage even if the object was dropped or laid down.   All those with handles have large openings and thus need a handle to hold and steady them.   If this example had a completely closed top then spillage would not be a problem, and a handle might be dispensed with"".

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:26 PM »
Hi Paul,  don't dismiss th 'irrigator' route....It could have been used to wash out wounds, or indeed, a nasal irrigator...a surprisingly popular item, even today!

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&expIds=17259,27463,27585,27817&xhr=t&q=nasal+irrigator&cp=15&wrapid=tljp1290802652307014&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=982&bih=420

Back on the case............like to leave you with something to ponder on other than n!pples :hi:
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »
rosie -thanks for all your links.   I did manage eventually to view the US infant feeder collectors pics., although images quite often too small to determine pieces accurately, so may send them a pic. of my example for an opinion. :)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 01:05:34 AM »
I think a posset cup is out as the spout should come from the base so the curdled milk on top doesn't get stuck in the spout or worse in your mouth :-X

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 12:36:39 PM »
Any progress to report on this enigma Paul? :huh:  I am particularly interested because as a nurse, it looks like the sort of item I should know more about!! :srn:

I wondered if you had any joy from the people on the American site??
Rosie.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 02:26:05 PM »
I'm no further forward at the moment rosie.     By coincidence I was trawling thru one of my books and was reminded of something unusual and which I have in fact never seen in the flesh, but which made me think of this object.     There were/are pieces called 'toddy lifters', and although this is certainly not one, the fact that my example has a similar finger hole in the top, made me think that pouring from it would be similar to the action of a 'toddy lifter' i.e. the container is filled and will only pour for the duration that the finger/thumb is removed from the hole in the top.    I believe we did discuss something vaguely similar earlier in the thread.   I don't believe that the spout would be placed in the mouth, as the edges are too sharp (unlike ceramics)  -  so really only use would be to pour a controlled volume of liquid into another container.       However, at the weekend I sent pics. and some suggestions to the V. & A. in London, asking for their help.   Apparently, they are presently experiencing a high volume of requests for help, and have suggested a 20 day lapse before answering.   I haven't contacted the States at present, and will wait first of all to see what the V. & A. have to say.    (I have a similar request out with a Finnish institution - so hope I don't get a bad name for pesting the authorities ;))

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
If your experience at the V&A is anything like mine with the Rackow Library at Corning this year you may have to wait a lot longer than 20 days... I have been waiting over 2 months for the Rackow to get back to me about a simple document enquiry,

Robert(bOBA)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 03:55:36 PM »
Paul, I am still thinking along the medical irrigator theory. :srn: 

I mentioned a glass flask used to irrigate eyes, called an 'Undine' earlier on in this thread,  but I am now looking at an item called a 'Neti'.  It is a nasal irrigator, used to wash out the nasal sinuses. (hope you aren't having your tea, or are of a delicate constitution!) :mrgreen: 

There is another thought.....could this have been used to place a leech onto a specific place on the body withouf handling the leech??  Or am I just trying to invent a use for it!? :o :X:
Rosie.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand