No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: mystery drinking object.  (Read 6152 times)

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
Re: mystery drinking object.
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 04:27:14 PM »
There are glass leech tubes to place leeches on the body but that isn't one of them. There are some leech tubes on this page towards the bottom http://www.phisick.com/zphleb.htm.
Julie

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 04:40:22 PM »
A fascinating site Juli3.....
Is it worth asking them if they would have a look at your pictures Paul?

There ia a vague similarity with the very old Islamic one http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cupping_glass_Louvre_MAOS705.jpg  but it is too easy to get side tracked. :wsh:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ju1i3

• Members
    • London
    • Hyacinth Vases
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »
Yea, I saw that. It is similar to the mystery object but I'm not sure it is a cupping glass. I've never seen one like it and I don't know how that could work. Cupping is about creating a vacuum and that has 2 different holes in it.
Julie

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2010, 08:49:05 PM »
really do appreciate the suggestions and lines of thought girls, but I'm going to discount both the leech and cupping ideas for the time being, thanks for the links ju1i3.      I am convinced this spout is for pouring a liquid, not placing in the mouth - although whether the top hole (plus thumb)  is meant to perform the task of creating a vacuum I'm unsure.........tho I have a strong feeling it does.    The lack of a handle might indicate that the object is not meant to be held for any appreciable time - just very briefly to perfom its task.  Sorry to seem dismissive rosie, but I'm having trouble going with the medical irrigation theory - again wouldn't a handle be a requisite?   I've racked my brains over this and achieved almost nothing, so will give it a rest for a while, and fingers crossed the V. & A. might come up with the answer  -  although by all means please continue looking - I do appreciate your keeness - and not foregetting help from ju1i3 :)

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2010, 11:54:29 PM »
OK Paul,  but don't totally dismiss the irrigator route.....after all, an undine doesn't have a handle, but does have a spout and a control hole......
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 07:29:13 AM »

While visiting the medical and pharmaceutical museum in Delft yesterday I discovered a whole lot of lookalikes. These are breast relievers, used in lactation. Some are flat, some are round, some have a manual pump attached, some are entirely made in glass and some in a combination of glass and rubber. The museum had around 20 different ones, all in glass.

http://wwwdelivery.superstock.com/WI/223/1895/PreviewComp/SuperStock_1895-24740.jpg
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mhWcjg2DXBSEkccQ2lNpHA

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »
Absolutely fascinating.  (Ivo, perhaps glass paraphernalia for breast milk is your next book in-the-making?)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 11:06:47 AM »
If your experience at the V&A is anything like mine with the Rackow Library at Corning this year you may have to wait a lot longer than 20 days... I have been waiting over 2 months for the Rackow to get back to me about a simple document enquiry,   ...

Robert — I heard that the Rackow was installing new racking / shelving earlier this year.   They may still be involved in the end of that major operation.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 12:12:42 PM »
Some are flat, some are round, some have a manual pump attached, some are entirely made in glass and some in a combination of glass and rubber.

Speaking from experience, they would almost certainly all have had some sort of suction device attached to them if they are not just nipple shields. Otherwise there is no point to them.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 12:39:18 PM »
Christine, couldn't this object been used to catch milk that was manually extracted (i.e. squeezed by hand) from the breast?   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand