No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: I bought this Daum style vase years ago - wonder who made it?  (Read 961 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
I bought this Daum style vase years ago - wonder who made it?
« on: November 28, 2010, 02:19:35 PM »
I bought it because it has no less than six distinct colour layers plus the inside of the vase has been ground away to create "snow" on the mountain tops.

At the time those more knowledgeable than I suspected it came from Romania.  It is c. 35cms tall.  The finish I am told is all wrong for Daum  - it should not be shiny in places where it is shiny.  Hence it is fake.

The second photo has Sun back-lighting.

Anyone able to give me a better idea of the maker, please.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: I bought this Daum style vase years ago - wonder who made it?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:21:13 PM »
Oops!!!   :-[

Got the photos into the wrong order - the first photo is of course backlighted.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:10:31 PM »
The market is flooded with the fakes, mostly from China I think.

Here's one. http://detail.en.china.cn/provide/detail,1084813638.html

Claims to be from Romania, but why is it on a trade site from China? Romanian commissioned and of Chinese manufacture?

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 10:48:33 AM »
The market is flooded with the fakes, mostly from China I think.

Here's one. http://detail.en.china.cn/provide/detail,1084813638.html

Claims to be from Romania, but why is it on a trade site from China? Romanian commissioned and of Chinese manufacture?

It's quite possible that the vase in question was made in Romania & exported to China. While we tend to think of China as an exporter, China does import European glass as well. Western brands are very popular among the Chinese middle-classes and I have certainly seen modern Egermann glass as well as other European brands sold in China. 

Returning to Ross's vase, I think Romania or elsewhere in Eastern Europe is likely. While Cathy is right in saying that many modern cameo pieces come from China, the vase doesn't strike me as a typical Chinese reproduction - the finish & especially the mark look inconsistent with the Chinese production I've seen to date, though this is far from definitive given the large number of factories in China whose output remains undocumented.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 12:17:55 AM »
Most of the repros are out of Romania and yes, it does seem that Chinese outlets market them.

There were, in the past, (and I mentioned this in the GMB some years ago) repros of these types of items from at least one maker in the USA. He sold via eBay with his listings stated as "Reproduction" but without his own mark of any kind on the work. Hence, in the secondary market, his work is hard to separate from the Romanian (etc.). He claimed to be able to produce reproductions of all the main cameo makers and was even, in his own message board, talking about making repros of Thomas Webb cameo!!! He disappeared from eBay some time ago but I have no idea whether he is still producing such items.
KevinH

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:42:54 AM »
He claimed to be able to produce reproductions of all the main cameo makers and was even, in his own message board, talking about making repros of Thomas Webb cameo!!! He disappeared from eBay some time ago but I have no idea whether he is still producing such items.

Interesting that you mention this - certainly in the past couple of years Chinese firms have diversified from the broadly Galle/ Daum style vases into more classical designs in white against a single colour ground, that is to say, superficially similar to Webb cameo. While these are not marked and not marketed as Webb repros, I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these turning up on ebay, etc. Here's a lovely example from Dalian Huajie Co.
http://dlhj.en.alibaba.com/product/223427819-200660686/Art_Galle_Vases_in_Black_and_White.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand