No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown small bottle vase  (Read 719 times)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
Unknown small bottle vase
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:27:34 PM »
Hi, can any one help me with this please. Its 12cm tall, an amber colour with streaking running up the neck with a collar. The base is indented and it looks like the pontil has been completely polished out or its just a smooth indented base? The base has a ring of wear. Thanks for any help, Wolfie
Something you like, mail me! :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline BRADBURY7308

• Members
Re: Unknown small bottle vase
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
Hi Wolfie cant give much definative help with this one but it looks very old glass too me maybe 18th century a lovely item id say one for the collection!! :X:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 07:15:38 AM »
Pontil? If you mean the mark left by the pontil rod and I can tell you there isn't one. After blowing the bubble, attaching the fortification around the neck (for a cork) these bottles are set vertically on a bump on the floor to make them even. Then they are cracked off. For this level of manufacturing sophistication don't expect transfer onto a pontil, neck finishing, pontil release and subsequent polishing operation. It's not in the price.

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:14:16 AM »
Hi Ivo, thank you for info on the manufacturing process. With level of detail you clearly must know what is? Can you give me a possible date and manufacturer or any other details for it please?

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:25:11 AM »
Glass blowing has been with us since roman times, and your bottle could have been made any time since then. The closer you get to the present day, however, the better the survival rate.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 12:46:35 PM »
sorry, I can't help either, at least not in any precise way, but........if Ivo will forgive the butting in, I would just add to his comments already given.........
The 'fortification' or ring around the neck below the rim of the mouth, appears quite accurate in shape for a period bottle i.e. late C17 - early C18.   Apparently, they were made this way such that when in position the cork was tied on with string - obviously using this ring as an anchor for the string.   However, looking at the few pics. I have of genuine period bottles - they appear opaque......dark green, brown, or possibly blue  -  and were referred to generally as onion bottles or seal bottles, and would probably have been taller than this one.   Does this example have wear in the sort of places you'd expect  i.e around the waist - slight chipping etc. around the mouth.   Does the source of the bottle (no pun intended) suggest an antique origin.   Having said all that, and bearing in mind the size, I might suggest a tourist piece or a retro item for use as a cruet of some kind for oil or vinegar, but definitely C20, and probably continental. :ooh:     

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
I agree completely, the neck fortification puts the earliest time forward to after the introduction of the (cork) stopper and practically until the end of the 19th ct. glass bottles were black or dark green. So this is definitely a 20th ct. item and not a work of art...

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 01:16:03 PM »
Hi, thanks for your opinions, very much appreciated. Ive got back to my office and had another close look at it. There are few missing details that you should know. I think onion bottles are round where as this is oval and dimpled front and back. Also ive just noticed its lightly cased and the top is fired. In the pic the looks like the top is worn but it is just a reflection and is smooth and round. It came from an auction with 2 other pieces, one large Strombergshyttan Owl vase and a large late Vic greek key jug.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand