No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery PK Mark?  (Read 27226 times)

Offline Ron

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« on: January 02, 2006, 05:29:20 PM »
My first post here several months ago (as a guest) was asking about a "PK" marked glass vase I had. I have since acquired a few more pieces with the same mark and am still searching for the maker. This current auction makes the claim the mark is "DK" for Durand & Kimball circa 1918.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7378061535&sspagename=ADME:L:RTQ:US:1

In my opinion, this piece doesn't resemble anything made by either company or their brief association with each other. I believe Durand was signed simply "Durand" and Kimball used the letter "K". I did find reference to a cursive "DK" but not the same as the intertwined letters in the auction piece.

It has the distinctive dark brown edge at the top and hand painted enamel decorations shared with the pieces I own.

One of the people I corresponded with felt the "PK" mark was from Karl Pohl, a Bohemian decorator listed in Ivo's book, but I haven't been able to confirm that.

Would anyone care to share an opinion on where this mystery mark is from?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 08:17:25 PM »
Durand & Kimble seems extremely unlikely as their mark was a sans-serif K in a circle with the words Kimble glass under the K.

Durand only ever used their D with a long tail at the bottom and no serifs.

So stylistically this is unlikely. Several Bohemian makers, engravers and decorators did combine leters in this way.

Have you asked the auctioner for their provenance? What they say appears to be only opinion without any corroborative evidence.

Have to wait for Ivo's return re Pohl. I suggest you bump it up, by adding a message, in early February.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 09:05:47 PM »
JMHO - But based on the color of the vase in the auction, I vote either French or Bohemian.  I have had 2 pieces of this light brown "cafe au lait" (for lack of a better term) glass with hand enamelled decoration. They both seemed to be French in style (but I could also believe Bohemian).

Offline Glasshound

• Members
    • Glasshound
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 04:56:29 AM »
I've seen dozens of these vases with the "DK" or "PK" mark...anyone that knows anything abound Durand or Kimble art glass would never attribute these vases to them...

These are obviously turn of the century Bohemian vases and the initials are those of the decorator's shop..

So how did the connection between the "DK" initials and Durand & Kimble start? In two places, on May 8, 2004 a 6 inch vase (Item #51) signed  "DK" and incorrectly attributed to Durand & Kimble sold for $780 at James Julia auctions (www.juliaauctions.com) in the U.S.

I've also seen the same vase signed "DK" misattributed in a Miller's Antique Guide as being produced by Durand & Kimble.

Seller's on EBAY that know nothing about Durand and Kimble art glass use this misinformation as a reference for their items..

"Knowledgeable" art glass collectors would never purchase these vases thinking they were Durand or Kimble...

Blair
American and European Art Glass, Antique to Contemporary
http://www.glasshound.com

Sklounion

Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 07:04:50 AM »
http://www.bowesmuseum.org.uk/collections/standardsearch.php3?Collection=Glass

A search for Karl Pfohl using the above link should take people to a fairly typical image of the glass of Karel Pfohl, a set of 24 glasses for the Bowes family (as in Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother).

A couple of difficulties with this mark.

Pohl and Pfohl may be one and the same, and if so, the family generally were principally noted for their engraving, much of which appears to have been done whilst moving throughout Europe(see Bernard's comments in the thread on the Whistler book).

Beyond that I can't help, as I have no idea whether any Pohl/Pfohl family members were enamel painter/decorators.

One of the Pfohls was working for Moser in the 1930's,  a seriously durable family of engravers.

regards,

Marcus

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 10:08:49 PM »
meanwhile I investigated Hoffmann Glasmarken Lexikon - no success

the name POHL is listed as well as several PFOHL's - all were carvers/engravers

the  pity with Hoffmann is that no decorating, painting artists are named

:twisted:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline butchiedog

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
Hi,

While looking for another Durand item;   I ran across this ebay auction for a vase that has been decorated in a similar fashion, marked the very same way and attributed to Durand & Kimble.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-DURAND-KIMBALL-Custard-Art-Glass-Vase-HP-Enamels_W0QQitemZ7380608402

I can't say if the seller is correct, but maybe you could use the "Ask Seller a Question" feature to ask them what they are basing their information on. This item was listed before and received no bids, so either it is not what the seller says or their opening bid price is to high for ebay shoppers.

Mike

Connie

Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 03:07:55 PM »
Mike

The item on eBay is the same item that Ron posted about to open this thread.

Offline Ron

• Members
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 05:47:19 PM »
I emailed the seller last week and told them they might be interested in this discussion (with a link).

Mike, like Connie said they lowered the opening bid by $300 and relisted it as a five day auction. That's interesting - the original listing was for seven days, then extended to ten.

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 07:01:57 PM »
Fascinating discussion. Lets examine a piece more closely shall we?

This is the one I have. Here is the mark

This vase stands apprx. 12 inches high. The top rim has been ground and polished. The base as you can see has no pontil. The edge of the base however has been ground, I suppose to make it sit better. The decoration on this piece is flat and not of the best quality. The only gold showing are remnants of a band at the top and one at the bottom. I had read a long time ago and of course can't remember where or even find it to this day, that the intials are for PK a decorator at Boston&Sandwich glass. IMHO a piece surrounded by what today are called Urban legends. Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand