No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery PK Mark?  (Read 27228 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Mystery PK Mark?
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2020, 08:57:32 PM »
A new contender Franz Pallme König with a labelled example here http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/vaza-malovane-sklo-4835/detail/

Site belongs to Aleš Král

My doubts are around dates.... so have asked him the following.

That does not really help, it obviously refers to Franz Josef Pallme König but he was mainly a glass cutter, although referred to as a glasspainter too. He left the firm to go freelance in around 1880 and reappears at Thomas Webb in the UK c1882 with a slight name change to Franz Joseph Palme, if it is the same man he would be 70 then. Signinq F I P
So I am still not seeing how you are attributing the FPK signature as Franz Pallme-König

From Hartmann
1st Franz Josef Pallme König born 1702
2nd Franz Josef Pallme König born 1812 (died 1867 according to Hartmann)
But this jars with firm being listed as Franz Pallme-König at Paris exhibitions to 1867

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »
Frank, there is some discussion on this here:

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/271866-mystery-mark-pk--franz-pallme-koenig

At the end of the comments Welzebub makes a point
'For what it is worth, this mark has also been discussed at great length on the GMB for a very long time also. There is, and always has been on ongoing debate regarding the presence of the "F". Since it faces backwards, it is believed by many that the "F" people see are simply ornate details on the backwards extensions of the "P".'

For the sake of discussion, if we take the signature on the piece shown on the link above ( the vase with the signature on, not the one with the label) looking at the embellishments of the extra lines on the K I'm inclined to think that the 'extra' lines on the 'P' are just that, i.e. extra lines.  They match those embellishments on the K and do not denote another letter e.g. an F in my opinion.  If this is the case then the signature would just read PK  - not FPK?

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2020, 11:07:57 PM »
There was another discussion regarding this same topic, and the debate continues regarding this mark. The point I also made, and will continue to make, is that the mark is believed by some to read FPK, and by others it is believed to be PK.

I am of the opinion that proving whose mark it is will remain an enigma until either an undeniable document shows up to link the mark to a company, or at least until there is a common consensus regarding whether the initials are PK, or FPK.
I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2020, 06:12:31 PM »
I was pretty certain Pallme König was eliminated years ago. But people seem to be ignoring the date range of these pieces as not tying in to when a Franz was involved in the company. So another red herring. Not helped by him having gone freelance c1880 and probably is the glasscutter that appeared at Webb in 1882.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand