No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: The Birds for Rosie...A little peek at some of my bird collection..  (Read 1296 times)

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
Rosie...I hope you appreciate this... :nogos: :nogos: :nogos:  This happened a LOT faster than I had planned, due to my bout of Shingles pain attack on the right side of my face last night....After it finally started to subside, I could not go to sleep!  So, here is a small sample that put together.  I could not get in our bedroom or my girls room, because I didn't want to wake them up.  There are many more in their rooms.  This is about 1/4 of the total glass birds I have collected over the years.  Like I told you, I collect so much other glass that I really have no "species" or categorical preference.  I LOVE to find a Murano glass!  That's what I am always hoping to find when and where ever I go glass hunting!

There is a pretty scattered variety that I took a photo of.  Let me know what you think.  I even put a little old metal "pill bird" that my wifes Grandmother passed on to her.  It is mint and the tweezer looks like it has never been used.   :thup:

I think I told you about the older Murano Hummingbird perched on a bowl.  Someone broke the bird off and I plan on trying to get it fixed right!  I would never get rid of it, as it is the first Murano I ever found!  Take a look at the aqua Cenedese free-form fat chick.  I hope you can see it.  It has it's beak chipped on the end (that's the way I got it).  I paid a whopping $5.00 for that.  If the beak wasn't chipped, it would be MINT.  When I saw it, I could not believe it.  It still had the silver foil and blue "MVRANO Cenedese VETRI" sticker on it and it looked like it had never been touched!  Too bad the beak was chipped............Oh well, still one of my favorite Murano pieces! 

Here is a sample of my flock for you to see:

westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
Re: The Birds for Rosie...A little peek at some of my bird collection..
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »
What an amazing 'flock' you have there....... :sun:

Did you know that the little brown and white one just behind the front row on the right is ( I think ) a Chinese birdie?  I collect those and have about a dozen of them.
It always amuses me to see them listed as Isle of wight, Langham or even Murano,  but the best of all....one is listed at the moment as Iittala Oiva Toikka!! :o 

Thank you for going to all that trouble for me and hope your Shingles soon gets better.... :srn:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline jomo99

• Members
    • Croydon, England.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »

WOW!! Fantastic Collection, I do so LOVE to see other peoples collections, I can see quite a fewpieces of  yours I'd love to own!!  Thank you so very much for sharing with us all.

Warmest Wishes,

John
The Blindingly Obvious is Never Always Apparent!!

Offline westred

• Members
  • Real Murano ONLY comes from Murano, Italy!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 04:46:23 AM »
Hey.....Thanks a LOT Rosie...And, yes I did know that was a Chinese birdie!  I used to have a yellow and tan one also.  I think it ran off with (or rather, flew the coop) with a Swedish hen!  I, for the life of me, cannot find them?
You are referring to the one in the first 2 photos, right?  I think they are very neat.  It is interesting how they use murrines and millefiori and pull them.  Makes it look just like feathers.  Took me a while to really find out where these came from!
About a year ago, somebody had 1 for sale on eBay for $999.99, saying they were "RARE" old Murano. LOL >:D :ha:  I don't care where they are from, I love the textures of the glass!  I call mine Sparrowhawk!  Partly because that was my kins name, supposedly, before we left England and came to the place across the POND, and then they started using the name Sparks.  Who knows, but interesting?! 

Rosie, I have one more bird below the first one, what is it, where did it come from? :tof:

John (jomo), it's a pleasure  :hi: and a very friendly HELLO :hi: and THANNK YOU  :sun:  It is always a great pleasure when I meet new people, that admire and respect the obsession for Hand-blown Art Glass, as I do!! :dance:

What kind of glass floats your boat, John?  I am an amateur Murano lover, as well as many other forms and creations of Art Glass!  The first time I saw and held my first piece of Murano, I was hooked, and the love affair has been going strong now for many years!  I like the fact that each piece is unique and most always brings out some inspirational muse from the mind and hands of a fine Glass Artesian.  A unique hobby that turned into an obsession that always forces me to go to that Thrift Store or Antique Mall to see if anyone has brought in a hidden treasure that only I know it's value and quickly pick it up and peruse it to be sure, then quickly purchase it!n  Then go home and research the historyu and origin.  There is just soooo much to love about the hobby, it never gets old or becomes a fad for a season.  Once hooked, always hooked (and always looking for that next story hidden in a hand made piece of someones imagination or invention!

I must "hit the hay" as we Cowboys say........Really nice to make your acquaintance, John!  I will try to post some more of my "stuff" for you and whom ever would like to see what I have picked up thrtew the ages....And again, thanks for the friendly and open greeting!! :hi:
westred......yea, ya betcha!

And God said, "Let the weights hold down the papers!"

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »
What a super birdie, you are lucky I didn't see it first!!
It looks like Murano from the detail of the Beak and Eyes.....I wonder if this is one they call an 'end of day' piece?

Whatever the maker,  it is lovely. :sun:

The little one  (1st & 2nd pictures) is the Chinese one.  If you go to eBay soon you will see one just like it being sold as Mdina!!

Have a look at the beauty I have just put a question for in Scandinavian Glass, I think it is a Nightjar.....what do you think?

Hope you are feeling a bi better today.

I will post a grouping after Christmas.....I have a few special birds to show off! :bf:
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:40:40 PM »
Here's my little contribution  ;D  I just couldn't pass by this little duck when I saw him in an antique centre!  He's just 4 inches (10 cm) tall to the tip of his snooty beak, by 3 inches (7.5cm) from his breast to the tip of his tail.  He still has original label underneath - he was made by Mazzega, Murano.  I thought Westred aka 'Mr Sparrowhawk' ;) (lovely name, by the way! Your folks should have kept it!  :D ) might appreciate him  :)   
Leni

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
Here is my birdie collection -- if two can be considered a collection.  :usd:

I've got a wonderful Wedgwood owl given to me by a friend (unfortunately, I have yet to see Wedgwood pieces in Poland), and I've got a lovely red-cased-in-green penguin by Polish glass artist Zbigniew Horbowy.

;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand